1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New US Fender Standard Jazz *WOW*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Ray, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I know there is a lot of love for the new Fender US Standard Jazz Bass. I played a few and I brought this new 2008 home. This will be going to the front of the line. The maple fingerboard neck plays like butter, great for all styles and slaps beautifully. Even timbre and volume all over the neck. Pickups are full and balanced.Great balance on a strap. I only changed the pick guard and that will be the only change. Black and maple is such a sexy combo IMHO. Those looking for a passive jazz should check these new models out, this smokes all the other basses I own.

Sorry for the picture I used my phone...I know the rules no picture... no bass

View attachment 121771

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Nice! Congrats--and play the heck out of it! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

3. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks it will be holding down the foundation on all the upcoming shows.

4. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Whoa that looks good man. I'm a lefty and I have a sunburst/rosewood one so a maple neck is not an option for me. Is the fingerboard glossed on the maple necks?:bassist:

5. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    I have a Mex one. How much better are the American ones? What sort of a difference is there? Other than the cool pickguard colours :D

6. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Kudos. I recently played an American Standard, and was blown away by it. Terrific instrument, and IMO valid even with the price increase.

7. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Yes the front of the fingerboard is glossed, back is satin, great combination!!
    I had a recent MIM 70's reissue (3 months old) that I traded in on this..the new US standard just played and sounded better in everyway.
    The starting price was $1,299 Canadian and with the trade in I was very happy.

8. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    I mean the difference between the MIM 08 Standard and the MIA 08 Standard. Would it be the same difference?

9. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL

Ah that's cool. I hate satin so I actually have sanded and polished my Am Std necks to a gloss on the back. Never been a fan of the satin feel. Glad you're happy with that bass, it's a beauty:)

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, sorta....
    The fretboard and headstock face are glossed, while the back of the neck is a very silky satin clear finish. They feel fantastic.

But yeah, you can polish the back to a gloss if you want.

11. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I am not really familiar with the MIM Standard. What I do know is this, The US necks have graphite reinforcements...no dead spots on mine...very lively and rolled edges on the fingerboard. The neck is worth the price of admission IMHO. The tuners are lightweight Schallers?? The US has a different bridge with thru body stringing. I am sure they are different pickups also. Comes with a case but I opted out of the case. I hope this helps.

12. I love my MIA Standard. It's my favorite bass out of about 16 I've had in the last 2 years.:eek:

13. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Cool. Maybe if I get the chance I'll have a go on the MIA.

14. Hammr

Hammr

Jul 11, 2008
    That looks awesome! Congrats! Enjoy it! :hyper:

Hammr

15. I just got a black and maple precision and put a black pick guard on it.....nice.

Congrats on the Jazz.

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I know these are satin on the back but every one I played seemed way more glossy than the satin of the last couple of years. I think it leans closer to gloss than satin so what is the deal? What makes this satin?

17. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Satin to me is a less sticky feel than a gloss neck. These new US Standards have very fast necks. A lot faster than the gloss neck on my Geddy jazz. That's the only way I can describe it.