New wrist problems

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by hallier, Oct 18, 2011.

1. hallier

hallier

Sep 1, 2011
    Have been playing finger style (thumb &3 fingers) guitar and percussion for 6 years and recently decided to pick up bass within a month I have aching wrists a sore thumb on my left hand and three sore fingers on my rights what am I doing wrong?????

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Some of this is likely due to higher tension, rougher strings. Make sure your left and right hand technique are ergonomically sound. If you correct those things and you still have problems, you may have what I have, which is a pinched nerve/back issue radiating down into your arm and hands/fingers. It put me out of commission for a good 6 weeks.

If your technique is perfect and this doesn't go away or gets worse, you'll absolutely need to see a doctor. If it's tendonitis or carpal tunnel you'll need an orthopedist. For a nerve issue, find a good neurologist.

3. hallier

hallier

Sep 1, 2011
    My left and righty hand technique is great on acoustic it seems the general ideas should transfer but it's not my left wrist is what really is getting to me then jump on a guitar and it's fine

4. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Stop playing bass for a few weeks to let the inflammation go down.

When you pick it back up, limit playing to an hour or two a day and focus on keeping wrists straight.

As strength builds, the muscles will protect the fancy parts underneath.

Or see a real doctor. What do anonymous people on message boards know?

5. SMaubass

SMaubass

Aug 19, 2011
    Is your left hand set the right way, or are you jumping on some of those frets withyour thumb?

6. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

The bass requires a different technique approach from the guitar. Try to keep both wrists as straight as possible. The sore thumb on the left hand is probably due to pressing down too hard to fret a note. Links for left and right hand technique below.

The sore fingers of the R/H could be from plucking too hard and/or the fact that your fingers are not used to the stronger, larger strings on a bass. Use a lighter touch and bring up the volume on the amp to compensate.

R/H :

Todd Johnson Bass Guitar : Floating thumb technique - YouTube

L/H :

Beginner Bass Guitar Lesson: Left Hand Technique - YouTube

Developing Safe Left Hand Technique for Bass Guitar - YouTube

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021