1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

newb alternate plucking question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fourmations, Jan 12, 2012.

1. fourmations

fourmations

Jun 6, 2009
    hi all

im a guitarist dabbling with bass and want to use fingers

it feels more natural to me to pluck with middle first
    and then index, is this a bad habit,
    ive tried index- middle but it feels un-natural

i dont want to start with bad habits
    should i work on index then middle?

many thanks

2. kr0n

kr0n

Feb 4, 2009
    Does not matter. Natural way is good enough.

When practicing, STRICTLY alternate. It will help you developing consistent sound and right hand dexterity & accuracy. You might want to consider 3 fingers to start with for speed and Floating Thumb for 4+ strings.

3. Just think about when you tap all of your fingers on a desk or table, I think everybody feels more natural going from pinky to index. Look at players like Billy Sheehan who is a master of three and four finger technique, almost all of his runs or phrases start with the ring finger and then middle and then index. There is nothing at all wrong with this. I strongly recommend also getting comfortable doing triplets starting with your ring finger. I think that once you become proficient with two, you will want to go to three so it might be helpful to start with this right off the bat.

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Me too OP. Yet I can't multi finger without starting with the index. And Stephan Fimmer starts with the index so he can add more fingers when necessary.