1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbie Bass Chick

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Thingy, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Thingy

Thingy

Oct 19, 2005
    Western Australia
    Well hi!

I have been trying to save for my first bass for about 6 months. In the end, my friends and family got together and purchased a friend's mate's Yamaha BB350 for me. How nice are they?!!

The first time I held it and started to play, it JUST FELT RIGHT!!

So here I am!

Hi to all the other newbies too. :p

2. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    My girlfriend's first bass was a Yamaha MB-40 and she's still got it, although the pickups have been changed to Quarter Pounders.

3. Welcome to Talk Bass.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    welcome

5. Thingy

Thingy

Oct 19, 2005
    Western Australia
    :) Thank you for the welcome! :)

Wot's a quarter pounder?!

Another question that I'm sure is a common one for newbies - Wot to do about blisters??!!

No pain no gain?! I'm down to about 2 non-blistered digits, so my style is rather..improvised! How long til they toughen up d'you reckon? I play about an hour most nights - it's been a couple of months now.

6. slayertreze

slayertreze

May 30, 2006
    hey im a newbie too!!!

7. slayertreze

slayertreze

May 30, 2006
    hi there!! ^_^

8. Keep at it. Although playing that often I would have figured you would have some calluses by now... Do you have a teacher? If not, maybe consider finding one to make sure you are not teaching yourself some bad fingering habits.

But even long-time players can get blistered as you will find reading posts here - if I take a few days off then go back at it really aggressively I can get puffy, pain in the arse blisters even though I have been playing for years. Stick with it!

and Welcome!

9. Precious

Precious Guest

May 22, 2006
    Hi, I've just joined and I am making a point of saying hello to all the other girls because I think we are largely out-numbered!

10. Thingy

Thingy

Oct 19, 2005
    Western Australia
    Thanks guys and girls - it's great to have these forums - my friends' eyes tend to glaze over when I start talking bass heheh.
    Yep - should definitely get a few lessons. I'm learning a bit from one of those Hal Leonard series (play along with the CD) - having some musical training (13 years of classical piano) helps too - but it makes me shirty when the Hal Leonard gets theory bits wrong!
    Hey Precious - RU in Perth? I am too - what are the chances! RU in a band? :)