1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newbie Help Please! Flats on EB-0

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wozzer, May 1, 2010.

1. Wozzer

Wozzer

May 1, 2010
    Hi Guys,

I've been a guitar player for 25 years and I've started falling in love with the bass after discovering short scale.

I bought an Epi EB-0 to get started along with some roto sound short scale flats (the only ss lats I could get on Denmark St, London).

After some setting up work, the action is good and with no buzz but....

I cannot get the E and A string to intonate, I run out of bridge.

The same strings go out of tune quickly.

The windings on the strings go over the saddle so i stripped them back to see if that helped. Helped tone but nothing else.

Does somebody have flats on the same bass and have a cure!

Thanks in advance.

W.

2. tito0515

tito0515

Aug 21, 2008
    I bought the same bass off e-bay a couple of months ago. I could tell it hadn't been used in a long time - the strings were rusty. I had an extra set of used chromes that i had on a 34' scale bass. I had to do more than the usual amount of wraps around the pegs. The key thing I did was set the bridge as low as it could go and the saddles as far back (to the bottom of the bridge) as they could go and started the adjustments string by string from all the way back. It's intonated pretty well, (though not exactly perfect). I also "shaved" some of the windings at the saddles too. Hoped this helped.

3. If the strings are going out of tune, then either the strings are shot (since they're new, that would mean defective in some respect) or they're not mounted on the tuners properly. I have the same bass and have NEVER had problems with the strings losing tune.

Bass strings are not installed like guitar strings - and many of the problems people encounter come from improper stringing.

I'd suggest removing each string at the tuner, then making sure that the end is bent 90 degrees and inserted into the hole in the center of the tuner, then wrap the string from the top down, locking the string in place with the wraps.

That should solve the tuning problem.

I'll bet the intonation problem disappears with correct stringing.

Also, consider how far up the neck you as a new-born bass player actually play. 90% or more of a bass player's work is done below the 5th fret. if you're playing above the 5th fret all the time, you need to think more like a bass player, less like a guitarist. Learn Booker T and the MGs: "Time is Tight" and "Green Onions" as remedial aids. (That should take you all of 15 minutes, but those bass lines are famous and Duck Dunn who played them is one of the great role models for simple, effective bass playing.)

And BTW: if you already know this stuff about mounting bass strings, no insult intended - but your stated background inclines me to think that providing specifics may be helpful to you.

4. +1. There's no money above the 5th fret.

5. MikeBC

MikeBC

Oct 28, 2009
    Am playing an EB2D, different Gibson but still a short scale. Using Rotosound black Tru Bass 88. No problems.

You have probably checked but here are some simple things. Neck straight? Frets OK? Condition of the tuners? How about the nut?

If none of the above, maybe have a luthier check it out. If they find no problems, have them do the set-up.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    like those above, I think you just need new strings. Also, keep in mind that an Epi Eb0 is *not* a high build-quality bass - it's perfect for a guy just getting into it, but it's not going to be perfect (the few Epi basses I've played in stores have all been awful, but I'm kinda picky...) - - But I'll be new strings would be a fine first step.

7. I noted that you HAVE installed new strings - so the first thing to do is make sure they're mounted properly.

Intonation may not be possible to set perfectly - but that's why I pointed out that bass players don't generally spend much time playing an octave up on the neck, which is where that actually matters...so keep it in perspective. First, learn to think and play like a bass player. The EB-0 is a nice short scale bass and should be fun to learn on.

8. Hey, Wozzer - any comments? Hoping this is working better for you now....

9. Wozzer

Wozzer

May 1, 2010
    Many thanks Guys.

I think I've put the strings on correctly as I did bend in and wind down as it were.

The length of the windings on the ball end is always going to be a problem especially as the saddle is hard against the bridge on the E.

I hear what you are saying on the up the neck thing.

Thing is I started playing the bass because I started recording and the up the neck E string sounds so fat and good on certain tracks but the intonation is awful and I have run out of bridge on that string. The other strings aren't perfect but livable with.

I may put the original round wounds on to see what the intonation is like but them flats do sound nicer for the dub/thump I like.

Thanks
    W.