Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadChad104, Feb 22, 2005.

1. BadChad104

Feb 22, 2005
    Hey guys,
    I have been playing guitar for a while now and I wanna switch it up and play bass. What is a good bass that can be used for a while. I don't want some cheap bass, but something reasonable and a good brand. And how bout an amp that is good.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. Those new Ibanez basses really sound great, and play like butter, the price is probably the best feature.
  4. perowave7

Nov 17, 2004
    I would recommend either a MIM J or P-bass, depending on what sound you prefer. A good, solid name bass thats good for the price.
  5. +1
    You definitely ought to try a variety of these at a store nearby, since there's a possibility you can find a gem (or run into some bad apples if you aren't careful).
  6. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

While there are a HOST of good basses out there.....and since you mentioned something about "no cheap stuff", I'd highly recommend the following. #1. A MTD Kingston or Heir. They're both great sounding and Bass Player magazine loved 'em in their reviews. #2. A Music Man SUB is outstanding--IMHO. It plays really well and has an outstanding tone. #3. Spector has some wonderful models to choose from as do #4. Lakland.

PS: I don't blame you for changing over from guitar to bass. It's a well known fact that Bass Players are smarter, better looking and have the nicest looking "fans" chasing after them. But do us a favor? Don't go squeeling that to other guitarists. There are millions of them out there and they'll ALL be making the change. ;)

7. Ernie Ball MusicMan SUB. Great sounding, well built (in the USA), and priced very well.