Newbie question not covered in newbie question areas...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dbassplayer83, Jun 19, 2004.

1. dbassplayer83

Jun 19, 2004
    Hi people,

Well... I've checked out nearly every thread, but I don't think this one's been asked - probably because it's soo stupid that everyone knows the answer..

Ok, well I player through an underwood on my URB but also play EB. Basically my question is: what are my options with amplification?
    Right now I'm playing through a Nemesis 210 combo which although I'm quite happy with the sounds I'm getting, is really getting a bit too heavy for my liking. I want something that is really small, but powerful so that I don't look like a pack horse every time I rock up to a gig.

I play lots of quartet/trio gigs for small functions, but my other main gig is a 20piece big band where it can go anywhere from latin to mod. to cheezy funk. Take your pick.

Having said all of that, I know that I have combos and small cab and head combinations that are available. What I want to know is: can I get a "powered cabinet" (I have no idea what this means) and just use a preamp? I was looking at the SWR Blonde on Blonde and the ad said that it could be used on its own or with preamp. Sorry for insulting people's intelligence, but does this mean that looking for a 'powered cabinet' and using something like a ravens lab preamps is an option?

I just want something that is easy to lift, is small, powerful, sounds good with my set up, and looks pretty cool (for this last reason, I was avoiding the Acoustic Image stuff.. :rollno: )

Thanks for your help guys
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Hehe...I get that lot, regarding my AI Contra Series 1;

A.) "Why'd you bring a ShopVac?", or;
    B.) "Why'd you bring a dehumidifier?"
  3. dbassplayer83

Jun 19, 2004
    OK, having learnt a thing or two since my first post, here is the continuation of the saga:

I have learnt that it is Okay to have an active amp and a preamp - as long as its a good one and has eq's and everything on it. So, great. Problem solved (unless someone knows this is wrong, in which case, case open).

Therefore, can anyone suggest good preamps and active speakers that can handle a reasonably good belting on EB and DB?

So far, i'm finding the Presonus Acousti-Q to be a sweet little thing and I'm looking for any similar products.

In the way of active speakers, I was thinking the SWR Blonde on Blonde or the Schertler Pub. Any comments? Will they handle it? I know the that SWR only handles 80w, and I need considerably more than that (like, near 200w I think).

As it is, I don't even know what to search under for the active cabinets. Originally I wanted something real tiny like a Epifani 110 or Aguilar 112, but these aren't active. Something very similar to these would be great.

Any suggestions, bass electronic gurus?