1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Newbiew Q? What/How do I detune

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LukeRazor, Jun 1, 2004.

1. I started bass a month or two ago and keep seeing references to "detuning" (most notably on a Godflesh tab I found :) )

What is it and how do i do it

BTW I tune my bass with a program I got from eMedia Bass Method 1

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Detuning just means tuning the strings to something other than E A D G on a 4 string, or B E A D G on a five...

So if it says it's "detuned down a half step" or something to that effect, you would tune the lowest string to Eb, next lowest to Ab, then Db and Gb, etc (on a 4 string)....

There is also "drop D tuning" which means you tune your low string (E string) to the D below the E and leave the other tuned normally...

Don

3. Thats really helpful, thanks

Does that mean that if it refers to detune to B it means tuning EADG to BEAD. Effectively each string gets tuned to the one above it ?

Also I was looking at other threads here and they were talking about necks warping and stuff, is this serious? It looks like a pretty solid piece of wood to me :smug: