Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newbiew Q? What/How do I detune

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LukeRazor, Jun 1, 2004.

1. I started bass a month or two ago and keep seeing references to "detuning" (most notably on a Godflesh tab I found :) )

What is it and how do i do it

BTW I tune my bass with a program I got from eMedia Bass Method 1

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Detuning just means tuning the strings to something other than E A D G on a 4 string, or B E A D G on a five...

So if it says it's "detuned down a half step" or something to that effect, you would tune the lowest string to Eb, next lowest to Ab, then Db and Gb, etc (on a 4 string)....

There is also "drop D tuning" which means you tune your low string (E string) to the D below the E and leave the other tuned normally...

Don

3. Thats really helpful, thanks

Does that mean that if it refers to detune to B it means tuning EADG to BEAD. Effectively each string gets tuned to the one above it ?

Also I was looking at other threads here and they were talking about necks warping and stuff, is this serious? It looks like a pretty solid piece of wood to me :smug: