Newby needs help!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by gareth, Nov 26, 2003.

1. gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    After 25 years without one I've now got myself a 3/4 double bass - i think its one of those Chinease ones - see photo attached

I want to use the bass for jazz and have some questions please:-

1. The action seems very high and is uncomfortable on my picking finger. What height should the action be for jazz? If the action is too high what do i do - reduce height of bridge or re-position it towards the bridge or buy a new bridge.

2. The underside of the board is quite rough and cuts into my picking hand's thumb as i place it under the board whilst picking the strings with the same hans fingers. Should i just smooth this out with sandpaper?

3. I've got an old copy of Ray Brown's bass method - is still the best jazz tutor?

All replies appreciated

2. Most of those type of basses come not set-up; just kind of thrown together. The best bet is to take it to a good luthier near where you live and have him set it up. He'll probably get you a new bridge that isn't made of balsa wood, cut it to the right height and shape, and he might work out your fingerboard and nut a bit too. One other thing is you might want to get some better strings; those basses usually come with something resembling what's inside my piano. good luck! :bassist: