Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Newby needs help!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by gareth, Nov 26, 2003.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    After 25 years without one I've now got myself a 3/4 double bass - i think its one of those Chinease ones - see photo attached

I want to use the bass for jazz and have some questions please:-

1. The action seems very high and is uncomfortable on my picking finger. What height should the action be for jazz? If the action is too high what do i do - reduce height of bridge or re-position it towards the bridge or buy a new bridge.

2. The underside of the board is quite rough and cuts into my picking hand's thumb as i place it under the board whilst picking the strings with the same hans fingers. Should i just smooth this out with sandpaper?

3. I've got an old copy of Ray Brown's bass method - is still the best jazz tutor?

All replies appreciated

Thanks

Gareth

2. Most of those type of basses come not set-up; just kind of thrown together. The best bet is to take it to a good luthier near where you live and have him set it up. He'll probably get you a new bridge that isn't made of balsa wood, cut it to the right height and shape, and he might work out your fingerboard and nut a bit too. One other thing is you might want to get some better strings; those basses usually come with something resembling what's inside my piano. good luck! :bassist: