1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Newish to bass...KC Strings???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dirty D, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Dirty D

Dirty D

Nov 11, 2007
    Kansas City
    I visited KC strings in merriam today for the first time in a few years. My last visit, I felt very intimidated about the shop. It seemed very different, and people were fantastic and helpful. I was wondering if anyone had some info on the shop or experience aside from the website.
    I have been playing bass guitar for 6 years and consider myself a pretty fair bass player, and bought a cheap Prima (i believe an ebay korean made student bass) a while back. I learned some basic stuff, and about a year later my truck was badly rear ended with the bass inside. I ended up selling my busted bass for 200 bucks. Lately my newest band has been calling for strings and I visited the shop today, played a 900 dollar bass made by KC strings and it lit a fire inside of me. I must get one immediately. I was just wondering if anyone has played their basic model, and if this is worth it. It played about 10 times as well as my old model for just a few hundred dollars more, and They are willing to cut a deal with me on the price if paid upfront.
    Bottom Line, what do my local bass players know about the reputation of this shop and it's lower priced instruments?
    Thanks for any help

2. Try reading around the forum; I don't think a lot of people are going to step out and comment on something like this. That said, nothing but good to say on my part...:)

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    $900 or $1900? I couldn't find anything new below $1900 on their site. Where do you live?

4. Dirty D

Dirty D

Nov 11, 2007
    Kansas City
    I live in lenexa a few minutes away. I played a 1900 dollar bass, and a 900 dollar bass. It was a few years old and definitely had some wear and tear. Not as easy on the eyes as the 1900 dollar one, but it played great.

5. I do not wish to comment on the bass purchasing angle... However, I know Misha and Anton and they're great guys. They've both worked on my bass. They are very sincere about their business and I doubt that they would gouge you on price.

That said, you generally {almost always} get what you pay for.

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    I have purchased two basses from KC Strings. One, a used Chinese Christopher and the other, a fully carved bass purchased a few months ago. They certainly have a very large selection with something in all price ranges. My Chinese bass was only $850 and was well worth the price, although you don't get a daily driver in that price range. I wish I hadn't sold it because it would be a great backup. If you can, stretch your budget a bit.
    Misha, Anton and crew are all top notch people. I have been most impressed by their willingness to work with me on payments.
    Please play as many basses as you can before deciding on The One. Bob Branstetter often has one or two nice basses for sale. I was told he has a nice Kay at a good price.
    There is a lot to choose from so you shouldn't feel pressured to grab the first one you like.
    Both Anton and Bob are friends I can heartily recommend. :D

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021