1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NFL draft 2018--- *** Raiders????

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bearhart74, Apr 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bearhart74

bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    I get it that Donald Penn has a scant few years left and a replacement will help keep Carr upright but how can you pass up Tremaine Edwards? 24th out of 32 in defense last year and we draft OL in the first round? Edwards plus Mack would have been great to see.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

The worst pick of the draft happen just before this pick when the Saints took Davenport. They traded all those picks. For him?

The raiders got an unsexy athletic blind side protector. There were better picks out there but at least the filled a need and he was too much of a reach.

3. I'm going to keep track of this one, because I predict you eat those words by mid-season. Davenport is a beast, and being opposite Cam Jordan will make the D-line bookends in NOLA formidable. By the way, "all those picks" was the 27th this year, at least that high next year, and one of two 5th rounders they had this year. To get a guy that will force O-lines to deal with TWO guys that require a double team to stop on every pass play, instead of just one. I'm calling it a potential bargain.

4. I like what the Broncos did for their defense. Von Miller on one end and Bradley Chubb on the other makes their D-line look mighty nasty to opposing offenses.

But they need to get their O-line built up to keep Keenum vertical in the pocket.

More interesting stuff tonight.....

5. bearhart74

bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    i was thinking that Miller/Chubb vs Mack/Edwards in a stats game would be epic

Pilgrim likes this.
  6. Funky Ghost

Giving up a future first round pick for a reserve rusher seems a bad use of picks on all but a QB.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Low84 likes this.
  7. 1. You actually think Davenport will be a "reserve rusher"? (I'm guessing that is what "rushed" was supposed to be?) You're woefully uninformed on his potential. Now, if he is injured or becomes a bust, you will seem prescient, but if you think that just because he didn't play at some D1 big-name program he can't be THAT good, you're crazy. ;) For examples of how well the Saints do at finding small school gems, consider Marques Colston, Hofstra (they don't even have a football program now); Jahri Evans, Bloomsburg; Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff...

...of course, if you're a Raiders fan, you're pretty much used to having to deal with a team making "reaches" for big name prospects that fail miserably, as opposed to a front office that researches ALL available players at position of need and selects the best one via research (it's not 100% effective, but it's a lot better than the standard issue OOOOOHHHH SHINY!!! method used in Ray-dah land :D )

2. There wasn't a single QB in this draft that would have been worth such a trade. Not one.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Nope. The Browns did that at #1.

MonetBass, GregC and MJ5150 like this.
  9. Quoted for truth and justice. ;)

Funky Ghost is going to get a visit from the Ghost Of Drafts Past when Davenport has 8-10 sacks next season. I'm still pretty fired up by him calling him the "worst pick of the draft". That's both funny and (in the proper definition of "unaware of the facts") ignorant. The deal to make the pick can be questioned (and for clarity - the Saints traded TWO picks and swapped one, and one of the two picks traded was their SECOND 5th rounder this year), but the pick is unassailable, if you have two clues about football to rub together.

10. I've said it but as good as it has been the raiders ol costs a ton of money so any rookies that could replace a maxed out pro bowler would 've worth a shot.

Ya we need a rush. Will suck if we can't pressure anyone cuz we don't have lockdown corners or anything amazing in the midfield zone.

It is not a strategy on paper that looks like a Superbowl bound tea. Could be worse. But it was far from perfect.

11. Funky Ghost

I'm not a believer in Darnold. He is a turn over machine. It will only become more exacerbated in the NFL where accuracy and anticipation are mandatory. A big arm isn't.

MAN It's nicer to be on a real computer again! I have a few posts to fix .... Kindle FireHQ pads sucks for doing anything on a forum. It's all I had for the last week and a half that I was on vacation... speaking of which!

GregC likes this.
  12. Funky Ghost

Using 2 first round picks on a very raw edge rusher was bad drafting. They needed more from this draft and they mortgaged their future on a defensive guy. I'm not sure how this is debatable. Finding small school gems is well and good. None of them are worth 2 first rounders.

None.

13. Funky Ghost

Is going to get? :) You seem very invested in a guy who hasn't played a down in the NFL. Also, what was up with that OT Leonard pick?

Last year was an epic year of drafting for the Saints. No doubt. This year? Yeah, not so much. Even if the players pan out to starters, good starters, it just wasn't smart drafting. Ignorant is not being able to take the fanboi shades off and seeing the reality of next years 1st round pick going to the Packers.

So to recap...

2 first round draft picks and a 5th for an edge rusher... who wasn't even in the top ten on anyone's draft big board ( I peeped he averages out at 31st over-all from 12 different sites ).

Good luck with that.

To further the explanation so that those without 2 clues about football IQ can comprehend...

They swapped this years pick, but it was still SPENT on Davenport... they traded next years pick ( effectively SPENDING it on Devenport ) they gave up a 5th ( Effectively SPENDING it on Davenport)

I come back from a vacation / honeymoon to a blow gard I mean blow hard. Jeebus. . .
    This is not rocket science here.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Low84, GregC and MJ5150 like this.
  14. Did you see him play? I did. Calling Davenport "raw" is a joke, he's far from it.

And, the Saints did not give up two first rounders - they swapped a 27th and next year's (27th or higher - more like an early 2nd rounder) plus an "extra" 5th rounder for a guy that is very likely to be a day 1 starter on the opposite end from an All-Pro.

15. Fanboi?

So, all the prognosticators and yourself can see there is no value in Davenport already.

Tell me something, why is it all of the nay-sayers DON'T have a job working for an actual NFL franchise? Oh, yeah....because they don't have a clue.

I'll trust the Saints coaching staff, scouting staff, and front office 100 times out of 100 before I do anyone listed in the 2nd sentence, for one good reason: they know what the heck they're doing, and y'all....don't.

16. Funky Ghost

It will be interesting to see if the Saints got another Jonathan Sullivan. As I recall that was 2 first rounders for a defender too.

No ill will, but it will be interesting.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    NFL execs, scouts, front office staff, people with paying jobs to analyze the NFL, make mistakes all the time when drafting players or signing free agents.
    None of them get an automatic pass from me as far as having superior skills and knowledge than us.

-Mike

18. I don't deny the possibility. I seriously doubt it, however. Sullivan was always an underachiever, and did not do the hard work. Davenport, based on everything I have been able to read, is exactly the opposite. Driven, big motor, smart, wants to "do the work", ridiculously atheletic (he's 6'6", 265 and runs a 4.45 40? :eek: ).

Here's my favorite example of his ability - mind you, this is against SMU, which is a D1 program, not a backwater:

Funky Ghost likes this.
  19. Fair enough, but these guys happened to draft not one but BOTH ROY last year. I am giving Payton, Loomis, and Ireland a lot of rope to run with after that. The previous year, Ireland's first with the organization was pretty good as well. Until they prove they're not consistent, I will expect consistency from them.

MJ5150 likes this.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I feel you, and don't disagree with your opinion on this deal.
    I just wanted to address the idea that these NFL folks and guys on TV are better than the rest of us.
    After so many years participating in these threads, I believe there are guys here who could slide right into a job in an NFL front office, or as a TV/network analyst, and do just fine.

-Mike

Gard likes this.