1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nitrogen or air?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Apr 24, 2009.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    I got a coupon from my dealer for free nitrogen fill on my tires...do any of you do the nitro.... and is there a diff. from air? thank you.

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Nitrogen might be lighter since its pure. Air = mixture so you'll be getting lots of heavier crap in there.

Go nitro since its free. An added bonus is that you can now tell your friends that you got your tyres filled with nitrogen.

Also pure nitrogen has larger molecules so should you puncture your tyre, it won't empty as fast.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Not only that but when you try to blow them up with your mouth it will make you laugh. ;)

4. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Costco tires = Nitrogen. Ergo, all my cars have Nitrogen :)

I thought it was supposed to be less likely to expand / contract with temperature variation. You also get cool turquoise valve stem covers....

5. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Last time I checked, air was 78% nitrogen, so there shouldn't be much difference. Maybe you're thinking about helium or sulphurhexaflouride?

Me, I'd like to fill them with hydrogen and try a real burn out:)

6. That's it. Also, there is no moister like you may get with compressed air. Basically, you are supposed to get a more stable/consistent air pressure which means better tire wear.

I'm not totally sold on the idea and wouldn't pay for it, but if it's free,..........why not.

7. That's it, right there. Pure nitrogen doesn't expand / contract based on temps. Motorcycle shocks are factory filled with nitrogen to maintain consistency. Whether it makes a bit of difference on car tires is anyone's guess, me thinks.

8. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Write 'this tire is more stable' with a special red sharpie
    on the tire. That will do it. We all know this nitrogen stuff is junk
    science... as BFM would say, 'piffle'.

The sharpie is available from yours truly, natch. 39 bucks
    takes it. Shipping is extra. The pen has a lifetime warranty.

[​IMG]

9. ^^^ ZING!!! :D

10. But,.....but,......NASCAR uses it!

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well obviously, thay have never heard of my pen. If they had, they would be using that.

Jeff Gordon in particular needs to cross out where 'loser' is
    written on his forehead and write 'winner'.

12. Jeff Gordon's head is already occupied with two words. "Turn left". It's written backwards so he can see it in the mirror.

13. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    If you think filling your tires with nitrogen does anything plain old air won't, I have a Monster Cable I want to sell you. :D

14. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Since you're getting it free, go for it. But for daily use (read, not racing or flying at high altitudes) it doesnt really matter. Unless you're going from -40 to 25 daily, you probably wouldn't be able to notice it. And if you do, go get them monster cables NOW!

15. :D

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Regular air is good enough. The big push for nitrogen around here is it's not supposed to leak out of the tires as fast as regular air is, since the molecules are bigger. So in that case if I fill my tires to 41 psi, when the leak down to 32 psi I should have nothing but nitrogen left.

Fwiw I've been in the business for 26 years and I've yet to see any difference in any tire with or without a nitrogen fill, other than the pretty green valve caps.

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    While Thor's sharpie post is nothing put pure win, it was this post that made me cry. :D

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Do you have a sticker referring to the fact that your tires are impressively filled with nitrogen? It only works if you have the sticker.

19. tires filled with nitrogen stay close to the same pressure when hot. there is very little expansion. tires with air expand due to the moisture in the air. when i was in racin we used nitrogen because 1 lb. of "air" is worth 60 lb. of spring rate. if on a long run usin air lets say your tires heated up 10 degrees past inflated pressure you now just added 600 lbs. of spring weight. your set up just went out the window. if you do alot of long distance travelin nitrogen is the way to go. but hey, you got a free coupon, go for it.

20. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    Thanks...Free coupon so why not. How much wold it cost to purge all the air out of the tires and fill them with nitrogen if I did not have a coupon? Now that I will have nitrogen in them do I have to continue to use nitrogen?