Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No Cable Needed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Nov 26, 2004.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey guys, I have a question...

Whenever you see a band live, the guitarist and bassist never use cables. They always have a little box on their strap that eliminates the need for a cable. So, I was wondering what these things are called, approximatley how much they cost, and any other helpful information I should know about these things. I'd really like freedom from my 30 foot cable. :)

Thanks,
    Graeme :bassist:

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    They're wireless systems. Depending on the quality you want, I hear the lowest price ones are crap and you'd have to spend a ****-load of money to get a good one.

3. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    True!!! I bought one of the cheap ones and immediately returned it. 1/2 the volume, 1/2 the tonal range...

Be prepared to spend $250+ for one you will be pleased with.

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Ouch! I better start saving. Thanks guys.

Graeme

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't buy Nady or Samson. Shure, AKG and Sennheiser all have good ones for around $300. If you pay less than that you will be disappointed. Whichever brand you get, make SURE you get UHF diversity. Not VHF, and make sure it's diversity.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I haven't had any problems with Samson's high-end wireless units in the past. As already said though, you gotta spend bucks.

7. That's what I used to use for the longest time and also had no problems. About a year ago I tried a Shure system. Dollar for Dollar, Shure is better.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, buy Samson if you want.

9. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    If you look on eBay you can get a killer deal on these things sometimes. I got mine (Audio Technica 601G UHF) for $70 including shipping from the 'bay, I think they retail for $250-$300. It has never failed me, and I've not had any problems with interference during a show, which is the only time I use it. But as Munjibunga said, Samson stuff is crap, so if you are going to get one, hold out for better. Also definately go with a UHF model, or else get ready for some serious interference.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    What do UHF and VHF stand for, and what is the difference? Thanks for all the help, by the way. :)

Peace,
    Graeme

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    UHF= ultra high frequency, VHF= very high frequency. UHF is less susceptible to interference and dropouts. Don't forget diversity. A diversity system has two (or more) receivers, and switches back and forth between them as necessary when one or the other gets a weak signal.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    +1 for Sennheiser, I'm craving an EW100 series system.
    -1 for Nady. Dropped $290 and the plastic reciever kept falling apart, cable kept cutting out. They have decent electronics, but horrid physical cases.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    XWire, man. XWire.

I hear good things about Sennheiser's (stolen) digital wirelesses as well.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Next best thing to Xwire since they don't make 'em anymore!