no-name Japanese EB-0 SG up for consideration

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, May 12, 2019.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    this bolt-on popped up locally with 0 info to be found on it and I have no experience with a Japan knock off of this sort to know if it could be worth dickering with the seller on price, asking $300 w/offers accepted. the bridge would have to go straight away, tuners are typical meh, but otherwise it could be a sleeper if it compares close to the real McCoy, which is dreaming unless someone can ID and clue me in on this mystery bass.
    upload_2019-5-12_15-59-35.png
    upload_2019-5-12_16-0-17.png
    upload_2019-5-12_16-0-54.png

jd56hawk and jamro217 like this.
  2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Tuners and bridge are both bottom rung, and neck pickup appears not to have adjustable polepieces. The bridge pickup, however, is a Maxon -- a pickup for which I entertain great respect. For $300 I would try for better, like an Electra EB copy.

mikewalker, Bass V and jamro217 like this.
  3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I'd pass unless it's under $150 and plays great. I've owned an identical looking piece branded El Degas and another one (a very pretty natural) with an Aria logo. These old Japanese EB copies are cute-looking but not all that great IMO.

Both the neck pickup and the bridge are likely to have non-Gibson dimensions rendering them irreplaceable without modding, at which point this becomes a time and money consuming project without any clarity on how it would sound in the end.

I'd rather spend a bit more and buy a trashed Gibson EB-0 as a starting point, but that's me.

Good luck.

klejst, Bass V and jamro217 like this.
  4. ^
    This.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sorry, but I'd buy any of these three sight unseen, before I paid even $100 for that thing.
    [​IMG]

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been hoping an Epi would show up around here but haven't seen any for 1/2yr now and they were all single PU @ $100 which is ok. if it's still around by payday I may check it out just to satiate my curiosity and not blow a surprise, you never know, but when I see that SG shape I always start hoping for something special lol I appreciate all the feedback and for reminding me about the Maxon PU.

jd56hawk likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You don't have to tell me.
    I've wanted one ever since I saw this!
    [​IMG]

zubrycky and Bass V like this.
  8. With used Epiphone EB-3s selling in the $240-280 range at GC, that's what I would do.
    They'll either sell them to you online and ship to your house, or ship to your nearest store to try out (if I'm understanding how that part works).
    When I bought a used guitar amp from out of state it came to my door VERY well boxed and was every bit as advertised.

Bass V likes this.
  9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I guess I'll go to my grave before I ever get a credit card etc. and GC won't let me use a USPMO unless I sign it over in front of them lol so that's out unless it happens at the brand new GC near Pearl Harbor for which it's a moot point. I think more people are finding favor with their Epis which if true is encouraging, some I've heard sound much like the real deal vintage, but all the SG styles have good yet slightly different versions of the same thing going on. in time it'll happen if this oddity doesn't pan out.

tekhedd likes this.
  10. You can buy a pre-paid Visa card at Walgreen's or wherever, and use that for online ordering. Pay cash for it.
    No name is attached to the card, but GC will take it because it's real money.
    I've done it many times.

mattbass6945, Duder and design like this.
  11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I remember you mentioning these before, long out of production and pretty potent IIRC, being a blonde board fan it stuck in my head but I doubt I'll ever see another one. were these bolt-ons? set necks scare the hell outta me.

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Set neck.
    Saw one for sale at Long and McQuade a few years back but they wouldn't ship it to me.
    South Park is definitely right about Canada!

Bass V likes this.
  13. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    These are fun for what they are, with a good setup they can play pretty well. They feel cheap (because they were) There are probably better ways to spend $300 but they aren't without their charms, if you can get it for 150-275 with case that's a good deal. I do like The Epiphone EB3 it doesn't get a lot of love but it's a nice interpretation of the EB3 and a lot of bass for the buck.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Bass V likes this.
  14. I play an Epiphone EBO made in Korea mostly at church these days. I believe it is a faithful copy of a Gibson EBO, but I'm not an expert in that regard. I also thought that all EBO's came with one pickup in the neck position that is sometimes called a "mudbucker", and that those SG's with two pickups were EB3's.

Thump on,

One_Dude

Bass V likes this.
  15. I have an Artia EB-3 copy that seems to share some parts with the one you are looking at. I have a friend who is a Japanese guitar nut and he dated it around 1974 from the Matsumoko factory.

The bass itself has the issues mentioned above. The bridge and tuners are not great, but they get the job done. When I gig the bass, I check my tuning a little more than with my other instruments.

As far as sound goes: It sounds freaking awesome. When I got it, the pups were way too close to the strings. I lowered them, put some fresh strings on- instant vibe. Very cool bass. With a touch of overdrive I can get close to Allen Woody's early Gov't Mule and ABB tone.

Since purchasing my Hagstrom, the EB-3 has been sitting in her case. I really need to pull her out or sell her.

My advice is, if you do buy the one you are looking at, you will likely have to put some work into it. Maybe replace the bridge and tuners. Possibly a pick up replacement. If the bass has a vibe you like, it might be worth it. Save the original parts, some folks find these collectible.

Bass V likes this.
  16. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    by chance did you mean Aria? maybe they were variations of the same thing. that would have my interest, as does the Matsumoko reference, big fan of both so that's interesting.

17. No, it says "Arita" on it. I think it was one of the many names "Aria" used in the 1970's.

IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg

Attached Files:

Bass V likes this.
  18. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Bremen
    I have one exactly like this. Same bridge, same tuners, same headstock, same neck pickup, only the bridge pickup is different. Mine is labeled Cimar which was an Ibanez sublabel afaik.
    It's okay but not worth 300$.

Bass V likes this.
  19. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that's my assumptions too, and I do like the looks of that bridge PU. cool bass! different headstock crown.

20. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Epi EB0 has a bolt on neck where Gibson EB0 has neck-through, thats the main difference. That and the pickup. If the neck goes south you can replace it.

True that all EB0s have single pickup neck position.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021