1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noble bass preamp vs helix

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by zaviere, Nov 30, 2018.

1. zaviere

zaviere

Apr 20, 2012
    Hello, sorry if this has been discussed already. Did a search but nothing came up.

Anybody have any experience with that noble bass preamp? Keep hearing about it but price is pretty steep to buy to try.

I have a helix already that sounds great live imo. But wondering if the noble is that much better?

Thanks

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    One of my guitar players runs a Helix. I have to admit, that suck is impressive. I would think you are at the point of diminishing returns. In other words, that would be a ton of money to spend to sound a tiny bit better.... if better at all.

I would stick with what you have.

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Different beasts. The Noble (like a Reddi, Avalon U5, Manley, Monique, 2DI4—as well as to a lesser extent pieces like the Shiftline Olympic, etc) is a pretty uncompromised design that does its thing really well.

The Helix's goal is to be a chameleon for players who need to shift tonal personalities, sometimes drastically, on the fly. It just also happens to sound really good.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018