Noise gate pedal with XLR output?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HairPig, May 18, 2018.

1. HairPig

HairPig Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    MA
    Anyone know of a noise gate pedal with XLR output? Sometimes single coil pickups plus the overdrive in my preamp pedal (Darkglass Microtubes B7K) could really use some noise reduction. Placing a noise gate pedal after the preamp pedal works, but then the noise is still in the preamp's XLR feed that goes to FOH.

The only thing I've seen that seems to fit the bill is an old, no longer made MXR "Noise Gate Line Driver" (see photo attached). Anyone have any experience with that pedal or know of something else with the gate + XLR out functionality in a single stompbox?

Since I'm trying to use this for a small rig (ideally just tuner, preamp, gate), I'm not looking for a rackmount noise gate, nor to put a separate DI box at the end of the chain.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    s-l1600.jpg

2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Why not put the gate before the BK7? I thought part of the appeal of those boxes is that they are silent with no signal?

3. I have the original ngld from MXR an older version that the one shown, it was the first stage for my pedal board for several decades still works but at this point a very dated piece of gear. I would not suggest it as a good solution for your needs as the gate is pretty heavy handed and a bit noisy. I used it as a line driver and DI with the gate off.

4. HairPig

HairPig Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    MA
    Thanks for the insight.

5. Rickter

Rickter

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Subbed.
    I'm looking for a similar solution for my Alpha Omega Ultra. So far I've had no luck finding a gate pedal with an XLR. Seems the only solution will be to come out of the gate and into a DI box of some kind. Still trying to figure out the best solution.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021