Noise gate recommendation for percussive/overdriven/djent tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alecu, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Alecu

Alecu

Apr 21, 2012
    Bucharest, Romania
    Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a noise gate and I figured you're the best ones to ask.

I'm playing in a few metal bands right now, and we have a lot of progressive metal influences. I have recently used a ISP Decimator live(borrowed), and even though I haven't fiddled much with it, it was very useful.
    I usually have my distortion pedal on pretty aggressive settings, so I get some hiss/hum/whatever by default. It's

Here's my chain, I'm guessing this would be most useful:

Dingwall NG-2 -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Origin Cali76-TX -> Darkglass B3K -> DSM Noisemaker Omnicabsim Deluxe -> PA

This is more or less my perfect rig, even though I'm thinking of swapping the B3K with a B7K Ultra, and I'm yet to add the noise gate to the current setup.

I was looking into the ISP Decimator(the normal one, not II or the G-String), but I'm afraid it's kinda overkill, since I'm not using an amp. It's not about the money, I would gladly pay the cash for it, but it's very hard to find used(in Romania at least), even though there are plenty of G-Strings on sale all the time.

Would something like the NS-2 suffice? I saw some people swear by them and some bash them.
    I am also looking into the MXR Smartgate and the TC Electronic Sentry Noise. They look pretty good too.
    As the title mentions, I want the noise gate to be capable of cutting the noise on very fast/percussive parts, I really like the dynamics it gives.

Cheers. :)

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I tried the isp, a blue Hush pedal, and the ns-2. I bought the ns-2 a few months before becoming aware of the mxr smartgate. Always curious (certain) if there's something that cuts tighter without affecting the highs as much, but the ns works pretty good.

3. Alecu

Alecu

Apr 21, 2012
    Bucharest, Romania
    I actually just saw an used ISP Decimator(regular version) for sale. I think I'm going to go for that. Is there any better pedal(rack versions are excluded for now) that I can get or this is the one for me?

Thanks. :)

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

The ISP is THE gate in my opinion. I had the NS-2 and it was the definition of a tone sucker. I felt bad selling the pedal to a guy who really wanted it, I don't recommend it.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021