1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noob at bass, bass building

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by orjanoye, Mar 26, 2013.

1. orjanoye

orjanoye

Mar 26, 2013
    Hi!
    I want to learn to play the double bass. I already play drums, piano and sing, but i think double bass is an awesome instrument and i have always wanted to learn it.

I have another "hobby" (read lifestyle ;) ) besides playing instruments, and that is making instruments. I have built several different instruments especially drums.

So i was wondering if this would be a good startingpoint for a bass: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-made-w...190?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f63b229e

Im not willing to put too much money into this project at the start, and its just as much about the experience of building something :)

Thank you all

(and excuse my bad English :bag: )

2. In a word, NO.

3. orjanoye

orjanoye

Mar 26, 2013
    And why is that? :)

4. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    That *might* be a nice project for someone with basic luthier skills. But of course, a tailpiece, bridge, tuners, soundpost, etc will need to be procured & fitted to the instrument. Figure another $200 - $300 worth of stuff.

I kinda like the unfinished "rustic" look , like it might be cool at a barnyard hodown or something. :D

Seriously, I dont know what bass-building skills you have, but this might end in disaster.

You'd be better advised renting a playable DB and getting a teacher to help you with the first few steps.

If you find its not your cup of tea, dump the teacher, and return the bass.

5. Because it's a piece of crap. The topic of these "in-the-white" basses came up only a couple of weeks ago. Do a search, but go to the top of this page and read the newbie threads first.

6. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Yeah, we went through all this just last month. Here's the thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/build-your-own-bass-956512/

The bottom line: this cuts no corners, saves no money. If you'll notice, with the import and shipping costs from China that unfinished bass costs almost $700, before you even begin to add the hardware, strings, and varnish.

Here's a quick rundown of THOSE costs, based on a quick run-through of one online retailer here in the states.

Adjustable bridge: $85
    Tailpiece and wire: $110
    Tuning machines $139
    Endpin $84
    Nut $6
    Saddle $6
    Strings $200

All of these are the CHEAPEST options I found. I'm not bothering to look into the cost of brushes and varnish. If you scrimped on the cost of all those (and discounted the value of your own time), you'd still end up with an outlay of almost a thousand dollars.

And that's before you sound a single note.

(Of course, good luck in figuring out how to cut a nut, fit the bridge, dress the fingerboard and seat the tuners. It's not like those aren't skills people take years to learn.)

In contrast: there's a 60+ year-old Roderich Schuster for sale right now in the Classifieds forum, "well cared for and upgraded to be a very solid instrument", with new Spirocore strings and a carrying case thrown in. The asking price is $1200.

It's worth thinking this through.

7. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass orjanoye.

Jsn already dug up and posted the thread while I was still searching for it :).

Then let me be the first to recommend making a Coffin Bass.
    I would've included a google search link, but there's so much crap in their links nowadays that I won't.

Good luck and enjoy the process, whatever You decide to do.

Regards
    Sam

8. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    if you already had experience playing DB, and had experience building string instruments (violin family) it could make sense to get an instrument in the white (but not the one in your link). DB takes a lot of effort to learn. You may not stick with it. Until you have played for a bit it is difficult to know how you wanted the bass to be. There is a lot of fairly unique aspects to making stringed instruments.

I think taking lessons and renting is a good way to go. Then you may want to try your hand at a project bass (that's what I am doing).

Good luck and welcome to DB world.

9. There are so many variables and skills required to do just a decent setup on a DB, that it takes luthiers years and years of practice to get those right. Just fitting a bridge can be a complicated process for a newbie (don't ask how I know), so the idea of tackling an entire instrument just scares me to death. And this is from a guy who's built 3 slabs and 2 EUBs with pretty good results. DB's are a whole other animal...