Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noob question! connecting guitar to garageband

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tiredman9, Sep 15, 2005.

1. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    I have bee trying to connect my bass to garage band. I have put it in my macs audio Input port and into my bass but it doesnt work and when it does it just gives off this loud annoying hum. so how do i do this? Thanks in Advance

2. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    also, could this be caused by the microphone because it is picking up my talking

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Did you turn off your monitor after you hooked up? Monitors will make your guitar or bass hum if you're close to them. I always have to turn my monitor off when I cut tracks.

Also, an inexpensive DI like a Whirlwind Imp 2 or the DI out on your amp if you have one will make your bass sound a lot fuller than just plugging it in directly to the computer.

4. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    its a powerbook but i think i can still turn the monitor off (any of you know how to do that) the computer is new so im not sure bout all of this stuff yet.

5. Go to system preferences and select the line input. That'll turn off the mic input.

You also need a DI of some sort a bass straight in will not work, if that's what you're doing.

A stomp box or DI will work.

6. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    is that the system preferences where you go to Garageband>preferences>audio/midi.audio line input?

Cause that is only giving me one option.

Its a guitar and a bass so i guess ill get a DI for the bass

7. Nabas. It's System Preference in you Apps Dir or the gray square in the dock w the light switch and apple logo.

System pref>Sound
    Then you can adjust mic/line.