Nordstrand Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 14, 2004.

1. I saw some pics of the Nordstrand basses and imo they're the most beautiful things ever made. So now, I wish to possess one of these fine instruments. So does anyone know what the prices range to and from. I understand they're custom so I'm guess they'll have a bace price and an :hyper: "all the bells and whistles" price. Also wondering about playability, tone, and overall craftsmanship (which I don't think will be anything less than immaculate). I noticed a couple guys here on the forum who have listed that they play them. So please help.
  2. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
  3. you'll be able to find all your pricing answers on his site, and i'm sure that mr. nordstrand would be happy to answer your questions about options.
  4. hey mebusdriver,

I can tell you as someone who plans to own one of Carey's basses, that they play and sound as they look... magnificent!!

I am also a "bass snob", who has owned and been spoiled by basses made by Conklin, Alembic, Fodera, and Bee.

Carey Nordstrand's instruments are truly top notch!

from the lows,

5. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Nordstrand basses are not for me....I only have a few around the house :spit: :bag: you should order one before next year winter NAMM...price is going up :eek: :help: :D
  6. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Carey's instruments are unbelievable. Additionally he's a great guy and will do his best to make sure that you get a bass you'll love.
  7. Carey will be building me a short scale six custom bass in (I hope) the next batch. I too ordered on the strength of the massive thread(s) here and the amazing close up photography Carey does of his basses.

I have NEVER even considered ordering an instrument I've never played or held in my hands before so his rep and his pics have persuaded me.

As my particular instrument is a completely custom job from its design to it's attempt to make the best use of physics to get a good low B, I have been very grateful to Carey for being above and beyond approachable and helpful along the way.

I can't speak yet to feel, balance, etc. yet obviously, but I desperately was seeking a luthier who I could potentially visit at some stage of construction, who would discuss and offer solutions to my design/needs for technical info.

Carey has done all of that and been tolerant of my obsessiveness about the project.

There have been a few delays as expected with a custom shop/luthier especially as Carey will be trying a few things for me that he hasn't done before!

If this short scale bass comes out as impeccably as the pics I've (and you've) seen here on TB, I'll be enthusiastic about helping Carey to sell more of them! I know a lot of people who are desirous of a short scale multistringed bass.

I'll start now!

I encourage you to talk with him and think about giving him your business based on my experiences thus far. Do the search recommended and you'll see a lot of praise from Nordstrand owners.

Good luck. Jim T.
  8. He's a really nice guy who does great work. He's on the way up, and the sky's the limit.
  9. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I visited his shop a couple of weeks ago, and had a chance to play several of his basses. Carey is the real deal. His instruments are works of art. And he's a nice guy besides.
  10. to say the least!

I was there back in August and it was one of my highlights this year!

:bassist: :cool:

from the lows,

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    they don't come better than a Nordstrand. I have two on order.
  12. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    .... "That I'm going to sell within a couple of months"
  13. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    What? Where? Which one? :hyper: I'm there!!! :eek: :help:
  14. I can't wait untill I can afford {Translated my wife will let me spend another 3k++} one of Cary's basses. Top top quality Bass from a top top quality builder. (He used to work for Jonh Suhr after all)
  15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you know, i'm seriously going to stop posting about anything anymore. I'll just quietly go about my business, i guess it's my fault.
    Besides, it is my job to sell basses...
    glad you guys care , though...but the joke is getting old... :oops:
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I own an SC5. Finest bass I have ever owned. The woodwork and fretwork are absolutely perfect. Carey is an artist in the truest sense of the word, and his craftsmanship is top notch. I have played many basses that cost as much that do not come close. And I have played a few basses that cost twice as much that fall a little short, too.
  17. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina

Ignore the foolery!

You made us aware and a part of what it takes to design and build a bass from the ground up. You passed on some good deals to players who probably would not have been able to afford such high quality instruments. Talkbassers sometimes kid me about buying and selling basses; My reply::spit:
    You, like me, have always been a straight shooter with your bass sells. I've NEVER heard a complaint from anyone that's bought a bass from you. And besides, you bought and sold many nice basses with YOUR money on YOUR time. No crime here folks!

I hope you continue to share your bass design ideas, purchases, and sales with the talkbass community.

I wish you played 4-stringers... ;)

18. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Can't you tell I'm just sad & jealous I can't afford one?
  19. Philip550c

Apr 22, 2004
    Loma Linda, CA
    you guys wanna see his first prototype? I bought it in a local guitar shop a few years ago.
  20. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    OMG, where did that come from???
    Skeletons have come out of my closet...