SOLD Nordstrand SC6 - Amazing 6 string - Price Drop!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bassphil, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Bassphil

Bassphil Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2005
    NYC
    Price:
    Strings:
    Unfortunately I have to finally let go of my Nordstrand 6. I've owned this bass for 12 years and have loved it- it's been solid as a rock and now that I think of it, it's never needed an adjustment in all this time. It was once highlighted on Carey's website, but I see now that the archive page hasn't survived his latest website renovation. I do, however, have Carey's description of the bass that he posted on the archive post:

New 2/17/03
    This is Andrew's Bass, an SC6. He has waited a long time for it and it's finally ready. It features a Australian redgum top on a chambered alder body, and an ebony fingerboard tops a 3 piece maple neck. It has an unusual electronics package consisting of a volume, blend, tone, mid, and bass control. This bass also features my own custom wound dual coil pickups inside ebony covers.

I should also point out that it has an "A Hipshot" on the B string, which actually comes in handy. When I was in a sharp key I left it on B. For flat keys I'd drop it to Bb. I used to play with the Birdland big band, and they had a few Brazilian charts in Eb... ;-)

As you can see from the photos, it also has an ebony ramp. It's held on with double sided tape, so it's easy to pop off.

For the electronics, the pickups are powered by an Aguilar preamp.

I've used this bass a lot over the years, most notably with the Birdland big band here in NYC, and on my last record "Detroit Lean."

Detroit Lean:
    On "Take Both Paths," I'm playing the melody and solo on this bass. (The low bass is a L.H.McCurdy)

iTunes music link:
    ‚ÄéTake Both Paths by Phil Palombi

YouTube link:

Since this is a bass forum, I should also note that I used Scott LaFaro's Prescott bass on that recording ;-)

Here's are a few older videos with the bass. Be sure to bump the quality up to the highest setting to get the best sound.

George Harrison's Something. (Bass solo at 3:05)

I Don't Care (It's a Love Song). (Bass solo at 2.48)

And finally, here's a little hotel room instructional video I shot years ago when I was on the road. There's no amp- just me playing in front of an iPhone. You can hear how much sound the bass puts out acoustically! You can also see my fingerings for "Got a Match."

That's about it. PM me for any questions. I would like to get $2800 plus shipping for the bass, but reasonable offers are accepted. I feel that you would have to spend well over $5K these days to find a 6 string that has this much attention, detail, and love in it's making.

Blemishes
    There are a few small nicks that I've documented in the photos. Other than those, it's an amazingly beautiful instrument for its 16 years of use.

Payments and Shipping
    I accept PayPal, of course, as well as Venmo or QuickPay with Zelle. Cash with a local pickup would be amazing, of course. On that note, I would meet someone half way if you live within 60 miles or so of NYC.

I'll ship to anywhere in the CONUS if you're willing to accept the charges and chances. I'll include that old hardshell case and box it up thoroughly on top of that, so I'm sure it will arrive safely, but insurance should be included as part of the shipping just to be safe.

I'm sorry, but I don't feel comfortable shipping outside of the USA. You'll have to come to NYC and hang out with me in person if you'd like to buy it.

I think that's about everything. PM me if you have any questions!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Beautiful. What is the scale length and string spacing at the bridge?

Mechanical likes this.
  3. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I am Endorsed by BrownAmps.com
    A true beauty!! GLWTS.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was just wondering if you still have this, Phil. I had Carey build this. I believe he hadn't left Suhr Guitars yet. This was one of his first basses built. Amazing to see how far he's come. I bought the top off of a wood seller on ebay. I still think it's one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever seen. Also one of the most meticulously built basses I've ever laid my hands one. Bummed you won't be playing it around the City, but I know it'll make someone super happy.

Carey, mikezimmerman and J.Wolf like this.
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Has been a long time, but I believe 19mm and 35" scale.

Ben Rose likes this.
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Also, this originally had an ebony board but the board had split at the end. Carey replaced it with a pau ferro board, which was much better sound wise imo.

Ben Rose likes this.
  7. Bassphil

Aug 10, 2005
    NYC
    Thank you so much for chiming in with the history of the bass! I know next to nothing about wood, so I didn't realize that it's not an ebony fretboard. I saw the original description and assumed that it was some kind of uncolored ebony.

I'll measure the string length when I get home, but I know that it is at least 35". For some reason I have it in my brain that it might even be 36"... It has a healthy string spacing and a long scale, which is why I've loved this bass. They're like piano strings. The B string is really solid.

I wouldn't be selling this bass, but I am now a New York Bass Works endorser, and David made me a new 6. Plus, I divorced a little while ago and I'm now starting over with a new baby, so you know what THAT does to your bass collection, LOL.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Congrats on the new baby and GLWTS!

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yup, the divorce i certinly understand
    Congrats on the baby!!!

I grew up a huge Anthony Jackson fan, so this bass was loosely based on his earlier Foderas. That's why the wide spacing and the longer scale, as well as the 28 frets. For some reason I feel like we didn't go with the full 36" scale, but again, I could be wrong. I eventually gravitated to narrow spacing and a shorter scale as I understood my own personl needs better. That bass was the beginning of that understanding for me.

Congrats on the endorsement! I've heard great things about David and his basses!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    mikezimmerman likes this.
  10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I always wondered what happened to this bass, since it inspired the SC5 that I had Carey build for me shortly after that (and just got back!). Good luck with the sale!

Carey and emjazz like this.
  11. Bassphil

Aug 10, 2005
    NYC
    Okay, I finally have a minute to do some measuring.

The string length is indeed 35"

The complete width of the nut is 2" and 3/8ths

The string spacing between the B and E right at the nut, measuring inside to inside of the strings is 3/8ths of an inch. The spacing gets closer as you move across to the C string, of course.

Okay, let me try to take some close ups of the fretboard now.

12. Bassphil

Aug 10, 2005
    NYC
    I am a motivated seller- price drop to $3099!

13. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    killing me. One of my favorite Nordstrands ever.

mikezimmerman and emjazz like this.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Insane bass!

Bassphil likes this.
  15. Bassphil

Aug 10, 2005
    NYC
    Feel like making me an offer ;-P

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    i wish.. In an ideal and more flush universe perhaps ;)

emjazz and Bassphil like this.
  17. This is giving me the worst gas, and I just got a new 6 yesterday to boot!

emjazz likes this.
  18. The original spec only shows enough information for 5 knobs to be present. Has the bass been modified to include a 6th knob which does what now?

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    It began it's life with a Suhr preamp (??...has been a loooong time). At some point someone put something else in.

20. Hi Phil. Any details on the preamp? I know it's an Aguilar. I assume an OBP-3?