1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Nordy VJ5 Classic Number 279

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by tvbird, Jun 19, 2018.

1. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Price:
    Strings:
    IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2166.JPG IMG_2167.JPG IMG_2168.JPG IMG_2169.JPG IMG_2170.JPG IMG_2171.JPG IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2173.JPG

I’m purging some equipment and moving to Florida and since I’m freeing up some money for a couple repairs before selling our house, this one is for sale. I’ve owned Alembic, an original Yamaha TRB-6P, a Mike Lull, and some other amazing basses. Nothing compares to the sound, quality, and feel of this Nordy. This is number 279 out of the shop and Carey has stopped taking orders. These are getting hard find, and I doubt you’ll find one this clean. Truly a piece of art.

Previous Owner only used it in his home studio. The bass never left his house until the day he shipped it to me. I’ve only used it for Church probably 50 times and don’t practice with it. It is literally in mint condition.

Swamp Ash Body with Tobacco Sunburst Finish
    1 piece Maple Neck with Satin Finish
    70's position pickup placement
    60’s wound Jazz Bar pickups with 2 Band Pre-Amp
    Active and Passive
    Bass weighs in at 9.8 lbs.

Bass will ship with a Musicman Hard Case.

I have attached a .pdf of the actual specs from Nordy.

I am open to offers, however no trades as that would defeat my purpose of clearing things out, and would possibly get me strung up by my wife. LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Looks like 20 frets so it's a classic.

Which pups? Nordy 2 band pre?

What does she weigh?

Thanks

3. jebmd

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    The pole pieces look like they are nj5s in a soap bar shell.

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Beautiful!

These basses are all that and then some!

GLWTS!

tvbird likes this.
  5. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Great questions, I updated the listing with the info. Thanks for asking!

jebmd likes this.
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Not to be argumentative, but I've never seen Big Singles that didn't have staggered pole pieces.

@Carey can maybe look up the serial number and have a better answer than I do.

I'm sure it's a killer bass, I love my Nordy.

impacs and jebmd like this.
  7. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    That’s what I thought, however that is the exact info I was given when I called the shop and spoke with Adrian.

Chef likes this.
  8. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Those pickups look like the Jazz Bar from Nordy.

9. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    The specs I included came straight from Nordy when I called and spoke with them. I’m not that familiar with the different types.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well there ya go then.
    Thanks!

tvbird likes this.
  11. impacs

impacs Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Largo, FL
    Is this a 35 inch scale? The pickups definitely look like Nordy Jazz Bars. Wonder if the previous owner swapped them out?
    I noticed that the chrome neck plate looks scratched up. Are there also any scratches on the body or neck of the bass?

12. jebmd

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Nordy Classics are 34” scale.

impacs likes this.
  13. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    @chinjazz was the original owner. He may be able to answer if the pickups were ever changed. I don't believe they had and should be original as stated from Nordy.

14. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I really don't know. I added him to the thread to see if he did. I also emailed a pic of the pickups to Nordy to see what they say. To the best of my knowledge they are the original pickups. The Chrome neck plates scratch marks are actually just swirl marks from cleaning. They are exagerated in the pic and can only be seen from certain angles. There are no scratches or marks on the body, neck, headstock, etc. It is in Mint Condition.

kobass likes this.
  15. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just lowered the price by $200.00 to get it moved. Somebody is going to get a great deal on this bass.

16. These are the original pickups :)

Fred312b likes this.
  17. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    That is what I thought. Thank you sir! Hope you are doing well!

18. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Those are the Nordstrand Jazz Bar pickups and not Bog Singles. It's the only pickup Carey offers that has the inline pole pieces in the Soapbar shape.

19. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hopefully @Carey will chime in. Neither I nor the Original Owner changed them and the specs from Nordy are saying Big Singles. I love the bass and love to play it, just don't know enough about all of the different pickups from Nordy to say for sure. Thanks everyone for the input.

20. tvbird

tvbird

Oct 4, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    OK, the jury is in!! I sent pics to Nordy and they say they are defininetly the Nordstrand Jazz Bar Pickups. I nor the original owner @chinjazz that bought it new had them replaced so there must be a lapse somewhere. Thanks everyone for the input and patience while I tracked down a little more info.

kobass likes this.