1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NORTH CAROLINA BASS GUITARISTS!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by two fingers, May 1, 2009.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't know much about starting clubs or anything like that, but......

I do mainly fill-in gigs around Eastern and Central NC. I'm always hearing things like "Dude! We've been calling all over and can't find any bass guys out there! Do YOU know anybody else who can fill in too?" I'm married, taking a break from full-time, and have a baby on the way. I turn down more gigs than I take, and I still take a lot. I need to know that there are other NC bassists out there! Even if you already have a gig (I'm not trying to steal musicians...I'm just curious.) Whether you want fill-in gigs or not, I'm just curious as to how many of us there are! Are you out there? And if so...WHERE ARE YOU????? What kind of stuff do you play/like to play? You don't have to tell all your business, or even give a huge bio, but gimme a little to work with.

Thanks!!!!! I know you're out there!!!!

P.S. If any of you Southern VA and Northen SC guys happen to be snooping aroud, chime in. I'm really kinda curious about the whole region.

Oh! And to answer my OWN question. 22 years experience. I'm in Greenville and I like it ALL! From Jazz to Funk....from Country to Rock....from Praise to Metal...and everything in between (but my favorite would have to be Soul and Funk!)

2. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    WOW!!! It must be worse than I thought! Anybody?

3. I'd like to help, but I'm a good 2 hours west of you, in Greensboro, sorry man! You get any calls out this way though, let me know!

4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks Gard! I was kind of thinking the whole region though. All of NC. BTW I gotta get out there and see your shop! (maybe even place an order after the baby gets here) I played the 5th Season out there about a bazzilion times over the years. Are they still doing bands 4 or 5 nights a week?

5. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    I'm in Clayton, NC. Do mostly Raleigh, but I have been down to Greenville a few times. You can check me out from the links in my sig. Thanks for starting this..
    Respec'

6. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Yo from down here in Calabash. "Seafood Capital" of the world they say. Small town right on the coast that sits right on the NC/SC border. If you're ever in the area, just keep driving until you get to Myrtle Beach; there's nothing here really. Not a gigging player here, but I've been making trips up to Raleigh to visit my best friend who also plays guitar and we've been making music together and we've recorded some stuff. I like the Raleigh area. From what my buddy tells me, there's a decent music scene in Raleigh.

7. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Rock Hill, SC
    Church and school choral gigs

8. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Traid area ... (WS, Gboro, HP) ... Church bassist. I play with all our P&W, congregationals, and choir plus our church group. We play out when invited to visit other churches.
    But I'm thinking about expanding my horizons.

Matt

9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well...there are a few of us anyway. Sounbwoy, my old keyboard player teaches at a studio down your way. Bassman316, I played several weddings down your way and have played Myrtle Beach HUNDREDS of times! Godsbassman, Lizooki, keep thunpin for Jesus in NC! Glad to know you guys are out there!

10. Hey y'all

I am originally from Laurinburg NC.. Going back to visit later this month

:bag:

11. I grew up there and did a good bit of playing in the Chapel Hill area in the 90s, but I live in MN now, so I can't really join the club. I don't know if it's still like this, but back then unless you were in Chapel Hill or Raleigh you were pretty much stuck playing covers. And even in Chapel Hill, most original bands were mainly playing for free beer.

12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No club. Just curious. Seems pretty bleek for the time being.

13. I'm just down the road a piece in Wilmington. My regular gig is Americana, but I am happy to fill in on bluegrass, rock, jam, or country when the opportunity arises.

14. I'm just south of Salisbury, NC. Just getting back into playing after about 20 years off. I'm playing mostly at our Church every Sunday and working my skills back up. I'll see where it goes from there. In this area there are more bass boats than bass guitars.

15. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Bwhahaha! Ain't that the blessed truth! Sme for around here.

The funny thing is, when I was in high school in the 80's I knew several guys that played bass ( actually, everybody and their brother) . Now everyone I know plays guitar.
    I generally hafta hit up a guitar shop to find somebody to "talk bass " with.

Matt

16. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    The high school I went to was mostly drummers and guitarists. I remember one kid who played bass, but I think he passed away... I kinda feel bad not knowing if the kid died or not, considering I worked with him at a local grocery store for some time. He saw me twidling my fingers (playing air bass) and asked me if I played bass. It was on from then... So basically there were two bass players that I knew of at my school.

17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Same here. There were two of us and the other guy has "retired" from bass all together. In fact, we were the only two at my whole school. But that was a bazzilion years ago. Thanks for chiming in guys. I guess either we're very rare, or bassists in this area haven't found their way to TB yet. If you guys know of anybody who doesn't want their info on the web, just shoot me a PM and I'll let them know if something comes up. Thanks.

18. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    Nah, there's gotta be a lot more TB NC Bassists. Seems like I remember more.

I'm in the Raleigh area. I come with a few caveats, too (older guy, last time I was in a band was years ago, and focusing more on guitar than bass nowadays). However, I still play when I can, record when I can, and acquire more gear than I'll ever need when I can. If there's ever a convenient get together I'd love to join (but mostly just to listen and learn!).

HooBass

19. kingbee

kingbee

Apr 18, 2006
    I live in Greensboro and was in a club band for a while, but the appetite for original music in the Triad just wasn't great enough to keep it going. Since banging out awful REM and Sugar Ray covers for the twenty-something trust-fund crowd was only slightly less attractive than getting an open-mouthed kiss from your grandmother, I now spend my time playing at church. The musicians, environment and hours are better and no one ever requests Takin' Care of Business.

20. bassmam53

bassmam53

Mar 18, 2008
    Female from Rock Hill, SC

Only been playing a little over a year, so not ready for gigs, but found it interesting to see who is from NC/SC area. I saw one other post from Rock Hill.