1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by stambroker, Jul 19, 2012.

1. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Hey there JMJ,

Traffic was extra terrible this morning and I ended up listening to almost the entirety of Sea Change for my commute. Now, I've always considered that album as a modern masterpiece and specifically my favorite of your work. Do you recall what your reaction was to hearing the completed songs for the first time? I know you're a seasoned vet and are used to awesome products but I'm of the opinion that albums like Sea Change only occur when the planets are alligned every 350+ years.

As a follow up question, do you have a "favorite product" or a favorite bassline/recording you've contributed to? If you had one song to present your resume, what would it be?

Thanks,
    Alec

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    That's the one. I can't really put it down to one song, I'll let history judge that. But thus far, Sea Change is the perfect moment.

I've spoken several times about the process of making that record, but suffice to say, it was like walking through flames and coming out "enlightened" or something. When we were done, we ALL knew that this was one of those records. Without being narcissistic or vain at all. It just felt like the truth of the matter.

I'm so glad you enjoyed listening to that today.

J

3. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I think that Sea Change will definitely go down as one of the definitive classics of the 2000's, immortal in the same vein as any Radiohead album will be. I'm glad to hear that you had a positive connection too! I wasn't sure if the recording had the same insane production perfectionism as something like Pet Sounds, but it sounds effortless!

You deserve to be proud of the project, you guys are the only ones who could've done it. Thanks for the answer!

(Probably going to listen to M83 or Midnight Vultures on the lengthy commute back, just in one of those moods!)

-Alec