1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Not cutting through.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom once dead, Sep 8, 2008.

1. today at practice, I tried running my head on just the tube preamp (its switchable SS & Tube) and it wasnt cutting through at all unless I turned up a bit.

What Can I do to cut through more.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Turn up a bit.

You had to know that was coming.

I don't know, maybe boost your upper mid a tad, bring your bass response down a tad, and bring the volume up a little tio compensate for the bass rolloff. Don't overdo any of it, though. A little goes a long way in a mix.

3. +1 to Jimmy's comments. & try having yr 410 cab up close as poss to ear level- or tilted back as to point @ yr head. Makes a LOTTA difference.

4. soulgaard1

soulgaard1

Aug 1, 2005
    Copenhagen
    In my ear, SS amps is one one-dimentional soundwise than tube-amps.
    While tubeamps generally blend in more in most setting, it will feel less punchy at the same volume.

But try to boost various areas of the mids (i usually boost 200-250 hz if i need more punch.)

or just turn up a bit :D

5. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    +1

6. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    whats that supposed to mean?

7. I've only got 3 mid voices and a voice setting thing
    http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MB450H&pageType=SEEIT
    Thats what I have to work with. I love the tube preamp (Classic) and dont like using the modern (SS) channe becuase My bass makes the compresor crap its pants.

EQ: Gain 2 o'clock volume 2 o'clock bass 1:30 ish mid shift 2 voice 2:30ish and treble at 2 o'clock.

I was also using a PA speaker with a 15" and horn, But I seem to have the same problem with my 410

8. It means he's trying to justify buying that Mesa Boogie head...

Just kidding, I have no idea.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Turn the compressor off then and EQ the s/s channel for lots of mids and then mix a small amount of s/s with mostly the tube sound.

Alex

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Ah, now we're getting into some technical terms.

If by "crap its pants" you mean the compressor is constantly working to reduce gain, then you're either overdriving it or its threshold is set too low.

A compressor will never increase your volume; it always reduces gain. The intent is to keep peaks under control, allowing you to increase overall gain later in the signal path. Without compression, those peaks would overload the following stages.

Cut back on the compression and things will be better.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're using the amp's onboard compressor? Here's a good setting for it...OFF. Amp compressors are almost always crap.

12. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Ask your guitarists to cut back on the bass in their amps also. You can get a good tone from a guitar without a ton of bass in it, then it sounds REALLY good when you come in.

:D

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    In my personal experience, I find that it doesnt have as much to do with volume as I had thought and more to do with EQing (like the others have said). However, my Hartke HA2500 solid state amp actually punches through more than my Ampeg SVT-III at around the same volume. That is even with the EQs adjusted. The Ampeg however sounds better solo, and "fills" the room much more, so its a bit of a tradeoff. Ive got the Ampeg to an acceptable level of cutting through but its still not as much as I used to have.

14. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    i think 'turning up' has the most merit. i want to be heard with the tone i prefer. i can only do that by having sufficient power and the rig that can handle it. i've always thought that by boosting mids or whatever you have to do to cut through, is a trade off for tone... just my humble opinion...

15. Turn off the compressor.

Get everyone else to turn down.

Your ears will thank you when you reach 50 and still have some hearing left. ;)

16. So its not bad to turn off the compressor?
    And in reply to Rick; The gain is on the tubr pre side, so it hs no effect on the compressor. My bass has high output pups, I have to cut some bass out on my bass(guitar) so the amp doesnt distort.

I also run the compressor at 1 or 0, I guess I'll just turn it off now.