1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NOT playing for a few months....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cire113, Nov 21, 2010.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Ive been playing for 3 years.. if i dont play for 3 months will i be hurt that badly playing wise?

TO keep a long story short im depressed ive had tendonitis for over a year wont go away im hanging up bass for 3 months in hoping it will heal..

Oh god let me play bass again please:crying::crying:

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    No !

3. fonnet

fonnet

Jan 6, 2008
    Toulouse
    You can take this as an opportunity to work on bass without the bass. If your living doesn't rely on your ability to play bass of course. You can work without the bass:
    - the rhythm, counting on every song you hear or played and discover if you are able to keep the 1 (and find it!), clapping on the one, clapping at quarter or eight, saying different rhythm out loud (if it's not in your head, you'll need luck to play it right every time)
    - the melody, sing the bass line, especially on lines you already play and make some correlation between the intervals you sing and what they are (2nd, 3rd, other?), sing the melody of the tune or the second voices to be able to do backup vocals (very appreciated if you want to audition for groups)
    - the harmony, learn the chord progressions of the song you play and understand if the bass take always the root or not and why! Discover what you already play with a fresh eye and get more freedom for when you'll be able to play again: you will be more aware of what's coming and therefore be easier on the song (you'll be more relax and less prone to injury too)

There is a zillion things you can work without touching the bass that make you an actual better bass player. Visualisation is also a very good option as it takes a great amount of brain control to imagine the bass and your hands and it mimics in your brain the same work as the one you make when you play.

Keep in mind that if you work the big picture, you will be a better bass player in 3 months even if you can't touch the bass. You only play for 3 years, all the things above can have be less worked than the bass, no? :)

In between, icing the wrist is a good repair tool.

4. brammerd

brammerd

Aug 9, 2009
    ^^

maybe buy a keyboard and learn that?

5. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    My bass teacher was once forced to put the bass down for a 3 month period due to tendonitits. He was miserable. After a few weeks he needed to do something with his hands to keep occupied. So he started doodling or drawing which he never did before. Little did he know, he was a natural at drawing and painting. I mean within a few days he could replicate faces and draw pictures of his favorite artists ( He did a nice pencil sketch of Dizzy that I took) and he was real good at it. He could even sculpt with clay and stuff too. Just by feeling the bone structure in his cat"s head he made a beautiful clay portrate of it. There was a free flow of creativity from his mind to his hands to the sketching.
    It made him wonder about all the years and effort he put into learning bass and how difficult it was to get to the level of playing he achieved. Bass or music did not come easy to him at all and he had to work real hard at it throughout the years he studied. Had he known about his natural ability to draw, he may have chosen a different path in life. At least now due to his "time off" he discovered he now has 2 talents to express. Cool.

6. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Try taking a run at another instrument. Just because you have to put the bass down for a bit ... doesn't mean you can play an instrument. It might even give you a fresh approach when you return to playing it again. ... just a thought. :)

7. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    First off I hope that you've gone to a doctor about the tendonitis.

Second, sometimes it can really help to take a break and really listen to other players. I feel that we often get so into playing that we forget our role as bass players (and I know that it's different for different idoms). Three months seems like a long time but it's not.

8. I just feel the need to ask, is your playing style on the bass a factor in you developing tendinitis? And if it is, please learn how to do it a better way than you have thus far. Having the guitar at knee height looks cool, but is hell on your body. Find an ergonomic way to play the bass and you will be doing it for a much longer period of time, with less pain and breaks in playing. Get well soon! Cheers.

9. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    +1. Some people just develop it no matter how great their technique is, but the above is a good question. Ive been playing for a long time and the one thing Im proud about is that I learned very good technique from the get go, and I havent had any issues thank god. And, I sometimes take a break from playing anyway just to recharge the batteries. Not usually 3 months, but if you keep up with theory (if you are into that) or like the other guys said, play another instrument, it will keep your mind in the loop while you heal.

10. rivmiquiv

rivmiquiv

May 26, 2010
    Go find the best Chinese Acupuncturist in your city. I was having the same problem for the last six months, and after only 3 weeks of acupuncture I am able to play again for hours at a time. It's amazing how well it has worked for me.

DO IT NOW, before you lose the chance.