Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

notation questions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by paz, Mar 22, 2005.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    ok so im takin the advice of sum people here and ive started learning how to read music, but theres a few things im not sure about.

1. where do you put an open a note on the lines, is there a different sign to put on it, because isnt it the same note as a 5th fretted a, but they sound a bit different

2. when im writting stuff that goes very high on the g and c string, should i put it in treble cleff (if thats the one that comes next?) if so how much space should be between the two cleffs.

thanks a lot

2. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    1. There is no notational difference between the open A string and 5th fret E string.

2. You can put it in the treble clef. Middle C is written with a single leger line above the bass staff and with a single leger line below the treble. Alternatively, you can drop the notation one octave, write it in the bass clef and bracket it with "8va" read as octave above.

3. Bear in mind that bass guitar sounds an octave below what is written. If you are reading cello or trombone parts, you will want to play them an octave higher. True middle C is on the 17th fret of the G string.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There can be a difference between an open string note and the same note fretted. In orchestral music often times there will be a position noted partially due to the fact that there are huge tonal differences in the where a particular not is played, this is intensified somewhat when bowing the note. I believe position listings are also present to help prepare hand position for whats upcoming and keep the section anchored together on one accord.
    When bass parts get into a higher range they will often go into tenor clef, usually not treble.
    I would try to get my hands on lot's of different bass charts, for electric bass you will find lot's of very interesting forms of notation e.i., slap, pop, harmonics, etc..