1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Notch filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phe, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Hey y'all!

I was wondering if there is a notch filter in pedal form or if it would be difficult to make? I know I can't do it, but I have friends who can wield a soldering iron.

See, I have a problem with our rehearsal space. It has standing waves at around 120Hz. Really head splitting stuff! Now I'm using my fDeck HPF to get rid of it, but as you can imagine I'm taking away a whole lot with it.

Zbysek likes this.
  2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    If it's only for the rehearsal space. Behringer makes a Graphic EQ pedal for Bass @ $25 in the states. Has a band right at 120hz. I'd do that for the pricepoint.

I have the WMD parametric 3-band eq. Works great, but it's $200.

3. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    the quality of your pedal chain depends on your weakest pedal. you may know it, anyway.

Basstards likes this.
  4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Are you saying having a behringer pedal will some how mess up the chain?

They may be a bit notorious but they do have some quality budget stuff as well.

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    If the pedal sucks tone, then yeah, it might be an issue. Though, if it's only for rehearsal and won't be used live, it's probably mot much of an issue.

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Yeah, cheap GEQ might work. If you need a tighter EQ band, the Source Audio BEF Pro has some notch setting - I use this for a static cut at 300hz sometimes, but the notch can be moved.

7. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    An EWS BMC should nip that right in the bud on the cheap.

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Plenty of random pedals from other obscure and more name brand companies suck tone to varying degrees.

All I am saying is you shouldn't judge based on brand alone, I haven't used much behringer stuff but they have some well reviewed budget gear.

Likewise many name brand companies have put out mediocre overpriced gear over the years.

9. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    The BMC has a rather wide Q, which makes it the opposite of a notch filter.

One great answer would be the Empress Paraeq, with the switch selecting the lowest q setting.

The MXR ten band is also great and has a band at 125hz. A graphic eq pedal is in a sense a whole series of notch filters.

Zbysek likes this.
  10. You might try a used or inexpensive 31 band eq for that, it will have the right point and narrow.

11. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic