1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Notes on the Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by Trayster2, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Hi Anthony,
    I have searched on here, and on You Tube for 2 days and could've sworn I read or saw something about your method of learning notes on the bass. It had to do with learning one note at a time throughout the fretboard(?). I was wondering which sequence would be best for learning the notes? I have C & G down so far.

Thanks. Sorry if I missed the post.
    Tracy

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey Tracy,

My preference is to start each student on the highest note on their bass. I've found that most bass players who don't know the notes as well as they want tried the 'old school' method of starting from the lowest note(either open E or open B) and then going chromatically up. I realized that 'that' system didn't work for me. That was teaching me how to 'recite' an order, not teach me the actual notes. I only knew that the 4th fret on the E string was G# because i had just said G right before that note.

I decided to focus on isolating each particular note. For me, it was a more effective method. And i decided to do the highest version of each note on any particular string.

It'll take too long to describe the process exactly like I do it but if you give me a call I'll talk you through and give you other suggestions.

By the way,...I don't recall ever writing this lesson out on any webpage. I think people who have studied with me may have.

peace,
    anthony

3. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Hi Anthony,
    Thank you so much for your quick response. Right now, I've just been printing out multiple copies of printed fretboards from online and highlighting all the C's on one, all the G's on another, and so on. Once I think I have it down, I put the sheet away. I am going to continue to choose a random note each time so I don't get caught up in what you had mentioned about ABC order. I think your method is a very good way to really learn where the notes are on the fretboard.

Thanks again so much for taking the time to respond.
    Tracy

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'd be very interested in learning about this method. Truth be told, I've been playing for 10+ years and I still don't know all the notes across the fretboard. I generally just work the 'box' and when I wander outside of it, I just pray that I hit the right note. Lol.

Anyway, if I can Skype or call or whatever, I'd be very glad to learn this method of yours.

Thank you kindly.

5. KristinBidwell1

KristinBidwell1

Jul 5, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Professional Bassist, Private Instructor
    Hey, Tracy! Good luck with learning your notes! It's also helpful to know how many notes are on your bass, i.e. how many notes total and how many of each note exist. It's also good to know how many non-repeating notes you have and where they are. Just food for thought. Have fun!

6. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Thanks for the great advice!