1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nothing makes sense....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockthesnakepit, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Rockthesnakepit

Rockthesnakepit

Dec 11, 2006
    ok, I'm sorry if this has been covered in another thread but I've searched everywhere and cannnot find a understandable response to my problem. If i have a cab rated at 400w RMS and 800w peak (4 ohm btw) could i safely run a head that is 480w (at 4 ohm)

:confused:

2. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    yes:hyper:

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yes.

In a nutshell...

RMS is sort of an "average" (not exactly, but the specifics aren't that important for the average player). You are not using anywhere near the 480W RMS rating of your amp until you're cranking the amp.

With all amps, power fluctuates. It rises and falls with each note you play. As long as you're not pounding your bass with the amp's volume set really high, you should be fine. At low volumes, you're not using anywhere near that much power.

Besides, you'll be able to hear when your rig is being pushed too hard - your cab will sound unpleasantly distorted ("farting out") if it's pushed too hard. If it is, make adjustments to your EQ, and roll back the volume until it's good.

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Yes. All amps are equipped with a volume knob. You can run a 2000 watt amp w/a 400 watt cab, just simply don't turn it up all the way.