Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Novice Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Forsaken, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Forsaken

Forsaken

Sep 5, 2004
    Hey, I am very interested in getting to learn how to play the bass guitar. Problem is I don't know what kind of bass to get. I was looking about around $180? My friend says Ibanez is a good brand to get. What good four string guitar would be affordable and or cheapest?

Thanks

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I would save your money because for $180 you won't find much, unless you can get an Essex, Brice etc.. But you won't have any money left over for an amp.

3. Forsaken

Forsaken

Sep 5, 2004
    Looking to borrow a friends AMP for the time being

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've never played it but I had a GSR200 which wasn't bad but it was more expensive. But to buy a new bass for $180, I personally feel that you're not going to own it long. I'd search ebay, you might be able to find something for your price. As I said, Essex seems to be a good deal. Again, I would just keep saving and get ATLEAST $300.

5. Forsaken

Forsaken

Sep 5, 2004
    :eyebrow: Hmm Essex... do you know a price range? Like I said I don't want to go TOO expensive because I never had any experience with bass guitars...

6. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    I'd look at a cheap Yamaha before I'd look at a cheap Ibanez. They use better wood in the necks, it seems, as they are much less prone to warping.
    Ibanez at or above the $500 range are often great, though.

7. Forsaken

Forsaken

Sep 5, 2004
    ;) I'll take a look into that...

8. Forsaken

Forsaken

Sep 5, 2004
  9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  10. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    That Yamaha on Ebay is a good deal. If that's the model I think it is, it's probably worth aboot $300+ brand new. So, if you can snag it for less than half, then hey!
    And just so long as the neck is good on it, you could still get pretty well any problems with it fix'd by a tech without even going over your origional budget.

I say bid.

11. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You can get a decent starter bass for the money. I saw an UNUSUALLY good deal today on a Spector - $199 on discount at GC. I hear the Squier P bass is good as well and I see them out there for around $179. The latest Bass Player profiled the Ibanez GSR200 (I think?) and gave it good marks, though BP reviews are clearly subjective. It can be had for around $200 as well. Heck, I saw a VERY clean used Ibanez for $99 on sale today...

Used is your best bet, if you could find a good deal on something. I like the Made in Mexico Fenders - they would likely be more like $200-225 used, but they are great for the money and easy to upgrade later if you stick with it. Good luck.

12. Overall, that yamaha someone linked is a good bet. Personally, though I detest the way they look, I'd say cheap ibanez's have the best sound for your buck, specially the active bunch. There's just a hell of a lot of tonal range for 3 hundred bucks (or less). My first bass was an srx300...I hate that thing, but as many times as I tried to sell it, it was just worth so much more than the 300 i payed for it.

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Nope, it's this one. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/59172

I had one of them. The electronics failed on me, and the shop was too lazy to fix it, so I got a 370 instead.

14. Forsaken, i would personally go look around the local music stores at some used basses, in my opinion, there is nothing better than a p-bass copy for a starter bass, talk to the store guys about what they've got and find out if they will give you any deals