Now what...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, May 3, 2004.

1. I was just struck wit the realization that i might not actually NEED the stuff I'm craving for...oh, horrid!

I borrowed a Line6 MM4 from a friend 'cause i thought I'd like the vibrato effect and the tremolos. Turns out I don't like the vibrato that much (too chorus-y, not slow enough), at least after one try. And I get just as good a tremolo from mt T-rex Tremster, plus an LED that flashes to the set rate/tempo. I did however like the ring modulator, although I see some limitations as to when it would find its use...

At the same time I'm re-thinking my actual effects use...

I have a fantastic compressor (Retrospec Squeeze box), a great overdrive (80s DOD 250) that I plan on making TB, another cool dist/OD (Gollmer The Blues, swedish Boutique pedal) for "harder" drives. I have a good tremolo as said before. I'm selling my phaser (Maxon PT999) because I'm not finding any good use for it.

So what do I really NEED right now? I'm thinking of an octaver, some sort of filter perhaps, and maybe...what?

Give me some tips, I might have some money coming in to spend :)
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Echoes or Delays are fun to mess with. It sounds cool to get a slap groove going with an echo, sometimes it works sometimes not, but it is fun to experiment with.

Maybe a wah?
  3. Delays...I don't slap iunless I have a gun to my head. Or if my students ask me to (I have studied Sklarevskij enough in my youth to make it through...). Might get a reverb though, maybe a Holy Grail?¨

Wah...maybe an autowah/envelope filter. I'm faaar to lazy to use a treadle wah. :)

Murf...sure, if you pay for it. :)

Still - thanks for the tips, please keep'em comin'!
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

5. If I haven't found use for a phaser I don't think I'll get a flanger instead...I'm afraid of the looks I'll get from my drummer... ;)

Synth...I'd sure like to have an AKAI if I'd ever come across one. Or an EH Micro synth, Murf or similar. But i don't think I can afford one :bawl:

The "cheaper" versions (Digitech, Boss, Ibanez) just don't seem good enough for meaningful use. Or?

What about octavers? Would I be happy with an EBS Octabass? Boss OC-3? Octave Multiplexer?
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    From what I have gathered from this site, the Digitech Synth pedal has one of the best octavers available. They are like 80 bucks new, so no burnt holes in the ol' pocketbook.

If you get one, post a review because I am considering one.

Never tried the EBS, but I heard it is very cold sounding. I have tried the Boss and it had pretty bad tracking in the lower register when I tried it. EH was similar, maybe a little better.

Didn't think about the flanger, sorry about that.

P.S. Maybe a cheap multi effect would be good, you could find out what you like, then buy seperate pedals to get better versions of those effects
  7. Digitech's are a bit more espensive this side of the "puddle" (Atlantic)... I'd like to use an EH Octave Multiplexer just cause they look damn cool! :) Much cooler than the Digi/Boss/EBS boxes.
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would try an online dealer that will ship to Sweden and has a return policy, try it and if you like it keep it.
  9. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Some of the discontinued akai boxes are worth a shout.
    Keep an eye out for a Deep Impact, or a Headrush.
    The deep impact does an octave. Does a filter, ALso does a handful of very usable synths. Some people claim that they can get Mutron and Q-Tron tones from it but I've yet to discover that. It's the mot popular thing in my arsenal and it looks almost as good as it sounds.
    The headrush is as glorious a looper/delay as I've ever heard that frankly gets used to death in my band.I can't speak highly enough of it.
  10. Keep'em comin! :)

I know just nothing about Lovetone pedals...what's in a meatball?
  11. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    forget it! Unless someone else is going to pay for it. The meatball is an envelope filter to dream for. Did somebody post a while ago that Lovetone had started making them again? If so how much are they?

The line6 filter modeler does some good things too. My guitarist wreaks absolute havoc with it. Does a good parked wah. I'd put money on it sounding really good with a bass except he won't let me near it :( .
  12. D*mn those guitarists...

I've actually seen a few Lovetone pedals surfacing around Scandinavia, I'll keep my eyes pierced. I found a Retrospec Squeeze Box at the right price, didn't I? ;) They all said it couldn't be done...

I've sort of decided that IF I'll be getting another pedal it will be either a good octaver or an envelope filter of some kind. Preferrably one that not only has extreme settings but one that can just put a little "movement" into the sound...