NPD: 3Leaf Octabvre, Earthquaker Hoof Fuzz, Swollen Pickle, & Boss SYB-5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Omega Monkey, May 7, 2017.

1. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Ok, so only the Boss was picked up today, but I got the other 3 in the last couple weeks or so. Finally getting around to building up an actual bass pedal board. Still need a compressor (the Wamp Wamp Wampler is borrowed), probably an EQ, some kind of all in one modulation (Keeley SuperMod, L6 M5, Nova Modulator, etc... if anyone has any suggestions on that front, feel free to chime in), and a delay (looking at the TC Flashback x4 since I also want a looper). The Nova system is my grab and go for guitar but I've been using it with bass due to not really having anything else. Basically at this point it's just filling the modulation and delay roles. Also want to get a whammy pedal. I play proggy sort of stuff mainly so I want to have a pretty full featured pedal board. The Q-Tron I've had for a number of years.

20170507_214319_HDR.jpg 20170507_214406_HDR.jpg 20170507_215321_HDR.jpg

2. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    Hi @Omega Monkey ! How do you find the Swollen Pickle and the Hoof in the same pedalboard? Are they redundant or not?

3. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Those 2 I actually bought because a guy had them both for sale. I figured I'd go try them both out and pick the one I liked the most. BUT, I ended up liking them both, so I just bought both. I play guitar and bass, so I figured I would use one for each. I've kind of gone back and forth on which one I like most for each instrument. Right now I'm using the Hoof for bass and SP for guitar.

Unfortunately I haven't been playing much stuff where fuzz makes sense. So I'm still really exploring both pedals. But if you had a need to have at least 2 different easily switchable fuzz sounds, these 2 would be good choices. There's probably a fair amount of overlap, but they are also both pretty flexible. Maybe too flexible, which can make dialing in a sound somewhat of a challenge. A lot of variables to play with on both pedals. So if you just wanted to make minor tweaks here and there throughout a show, one would probably do the trick. Which one would be up to you to figure out. I'm still not sure I have a "favorite". Lately I've been liking the Hoof for bass though.

fuzzspiral likes this.
  4. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    Well...if I can have different sounds from fuzzes, I'm willing to keep four of them. I'm playing stoner and similar at the moment, drive and fuzzes are almost always on (I know, I know...)
    The only thing that keeps me from buying the Swollen Pickle is that it seems way too huge for practical purposes...

5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I mean, in that type of music, you might be carrying around 300 pounds of cabinets that fill all or most of a van. A few extra cubic inches and ounces for a fuzz pedal doesnt seem like a lot in comparison. Isn't there a mini version, or did I dream that?

6. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    I don't know...It's not the space or weight the problem, for me it doesn't make sense having a lot of pedals that make the same sound

7. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    In that case if you really wanted the greatly different sounds on each pedal, I might go with something like a fuzz factory with either one of them. The Hoof and the SP do kind of live in the same "fuzz family" for the most part.

8. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    I already have a Mastotron and a TAFM (this one not sure if I'll keep it...). Maybe I have just to take the decision that I don't want to take (choose between these options) :smug:
    thanks for the advices!

Omega Monkey likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022