1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD? Custom P-bass pickup for Ibanez SR506

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Oobly, May 31, 2012.

1. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    Hey all,

I've been dissatisfied with the tone of my SR506 for a while now, eventually bought a new preamp for it (Glockenklang) and although I could get more tonal range, it still didn't sound how I wanted. So I took some time to find out what tone I DID want from it and realised I'm a P-bass man.

Problem is I couldn't find any P-bass pickups for a 6 string with tight string spacing... so I made one myself (also just really wanted to try it, since I like DIY). It ended up just a little underwound (10.3k), but I couldn't fit any more wire on the bobbins, so that's just how it is. If I do it again, I would go for a slight overwind I think, something like 11 to 12k.

I'm quite happy with the result. Just have to find a nice pickup cover for it now.

Attachments: 1. After potting, 2. Mounted to a base, 3. Installed, 4. With homemade card and electric tape cover.

And how it sounds (please forgive the horribly sloppy, messy noodling): http://soundcloud.com/oobly-1/diy-p-bass-pickup-test

Attached Files:

2. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    oops, only 2 attachments per post... here are the other 2.

The sound test was done with the preamp in passive mode, tone wide open and TI Jazz flats.

Attached Files:

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  4. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
  5. tomatmojotone

tomatmojotone

Jun 2, 2011
    Manager Pickup Division Mojo Musical Supply
    OObly, please send me an email at tom@mojotone.com and I will see what we can do about the shipping cost for you.

6. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    You know, those Bartolini MK1 pickups are already split coil pickups.
    Maybe they don't have the tone you're looking for but the pickups under those soapbar covers are similar to the one you made.
    But (as far as I remember) they have around 7-8kohm DC resistance. Way underwound than what you're looking for.

7. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Very cool, sir. Really like the tone you got out of it. :D

8. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    Thank you! Email sent.

Cool, didn't know the design inside the package (they are sealed units), but worked out they are underwound for the tone I wanted (7.something and 8.something). I did get a nice tone by wiring them series just for a test.

Thank you :) It was a fun project and I am finally happy with how this bass sounds.