1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NRBD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Apr 1, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Newly Reimagined Bass Day, that is!

I bought a Peavey Millennium Plus JJ from a fellow TB'er recently.

IMG_4912_zps8695a4d3.

Everything is stellar about this particular bass - except the pickups. This set is hissy and muffled, which is weird because I've owned another of this same bass and thought the pickups were really nice sounding. Originally I thought it was the preamp, so I sold that off. Turns out it was the pickups.

I decided to buy a set of Reed James Neo pups in the Bartolini MK1 size (because that was the size being sold) from another TB'er and had a local luthier enlarge the routes. Since the preamp is gone I have it wired in V/V/T passive with series/single/parallel switches. It sounds really nice now! I have adjustments to make, but I think it's better than ever soundwise. I'm going to install an Audere Classic 4-Band sometime this summer.

Here's how it looks now.

20130331_1039491_zps95ddf856.

I personally think these pickups fit the modern look of this bass better than the skinny J's.

2. Awesome!

How does it sound as is? I've got Auderes in two basses and the Classic 4 band is in my favorite bass. It may be the best preamp ever IMO. It was one of the first of the new design sold according to David at Audere.

It has three Z-Mode settings. Two are not overly "hot", but are flexible. The third melts your face.

3. Landsharks

Landsharks

Jul 24, 2009
    Oxford, MS
    I'm glad you got your problem fixed. Sorry it wasn't the preamp, but am glad you sold it to me! Loving it, played two gigs last weekend with it and enjoyed the sound very much.

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It's all good. I've never been a fan of that preamp anyway. I like Audere Classics with two bands of mids rather than sweepable ones.