NS DB End Pin Conversion

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by allthumbs, Jan 28, 2005.

1. allthumbs

Dec 30, 2004
    South Devon, UK
    I was just wondering if anyone had any experience/thoughts about the end pin conversion kit for the NS double bass. Sometimes I find using the stand a bit uncomfortable, I think because I'm used to DB where the instrument moves with you a little - rather than being completely immobile on a stand.

So I was toying with the idea of getting the end pin, but as it's £199 from the Bass Centre I thought I'd see if the esteemed members of this forum had any thoughts before I shell out all that money.

From the NS Design website it looks to be quite convenient, especially as you can still use the stand to hold the bass up whilst you're at the bar. But maybe you know different...
  2. mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    I have had the luxury of being able to demo the whole kit for a couple weeks. The balance thing for me is a bit awkward on the endpin stand, but adjustment is *everything. What I've settled on, at least until I get comfy with the bugger and develop some better muscle memory, is putting the bout-extension onto the tripod stand. With my left foot on the rear tripod-leg, I can more closely simulate the mass of an acoustic UB by leaning into the bout extension.
    The other thing, is to tote all them parts to a gig is a bit over the top to me. Makes me feel sorry for drummers..sorta..

ps.. when asked what's in the bag, I reply "Electric Potato Gun". That shuts 'em up.
  3. allthumbs

Dec 30, 2004
    South Devon, UK
    Very useful info, I think maybe I'll persevere with the stand a bit longer before shelling out another £199. :)