Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nuclear rabbit

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    THis band rocks my feeble little world. Their bassist is amazing to say the leat. I was watching him tap and i would of sworen it was a stick but it was a beautiful conklin 9 string. this guy has some much groove and technique im amazed he is not more highly spoken of. I cant remember a bass player that has inspired me so much has him so im going to go pracitice now. :bassist:

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Killer band, superb bassist! I think his name is Jean Baudin?

3. Yep. He's a regular here. I bought my 9-string from him. Ping Jean ... :D

- Dave

4. Jean Baudin sounds like a French name. Êtes-vous Français, monsieur Baudin? :)

5. I just listened to the three samples on their site from their latest album "Mutopia", and, wow!

I think I need that album. Some serious chops displayed there, gorgeous bass tone, and the singer has that Mike Patton vibe. Two thumbs up!

6. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    My freind compared them sorta like primus meeting gwar in a weird way. I sorta see the mike patton thing.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jean's a pretty great guy, and a contributor here at talkbass :cool: :hyper:

8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    thanks for the compliments everybody. thedeadking - It's always great to hear that I'm an inspiration to somebody!

in addition to the nuclear rabbit stuff, I'm working on a solo album but kinda taking my time writing... as I want to have some music recorded with the 11 and fretless 9 (which are being built). However, it will probably sound more like a movie score than a bass solo album. :eyebrow: I should have a couple MP3s up in the coming months on my website (www.jeanbaudin.com) - I might put a video up of me playing one of the Bach Invention's too

If any of you want to hear the 9-string a la carte', there's a new "loop" each month on Conklin's Cherished Challenges. January through June are archived there now.

the ombudsman - both my parents came from france (versailles and paris) but unfortunately my french is limited to a little bit of comprehension. It's actually, Jean-Andre' Baudin. :ninja:

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    ^ Yeah, Jean kicks ass. I checked out a NR show just a few weeks back and it ruled! Inspiring to say the least... and I'm really digging their new material.

10. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    The loops at the Conklin site really show some great ideas.
    I acctually wasn't a great fan of tapping on bass, but your approach definitly clicked it on me a lot more than guys like Sheehan or Stu Hamm ( which are also spectacular of course, dunno, they just never hit a nerve!)

11. Damn, am I clear-sighted! :smug:

Cheers, Jean-André! :)

12. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    can you tell us about some of your technique?

13. I'll second that! You fully amaze me and I think you deserve alot more.... whats the word ahhhh oh well you know the word. lol!
    Thanks
    Troy

14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I've heard some Nuclear Rabbit songs and I love them! I'm going to order one of their cd's next month :)

15. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    boofis/flea-bass - if you have some specific questions ask away.

Most of my style has evolved in a weird way and to be honest, I wouldn't recommend my "techniques" to people... hahaha.

For example, when tapping I often "merge" parts - meaning I don't dedicate my left/right hand to bass/treble since I have such a wide range within the span of a few frets. Instead of looking at it as two parts being played on two hands, I look it as one part being played by one hand with 10 fingers ( :eyebrow: ). I will have my index/middle fingers on my left and right hands doing the bass line and my pinky and ring fingers doing a melody. This makes perfect sense to me and it allows me to flow parts between hands better (not having to dedicate a hand to treble / bass like a pianist) - I have shown this to a few people and it confuses the hell out of them. Of course if the range is too far, I'll use standard tapping (left hand = bass, right hand = melody or right hand = bass , left hand = melody) - but being that I have 9 strings to work with I'll try to keep things "horizontal" instead of "vertical" - and the tone of the notes just sounds better that way.

I also slap with my fingernail(s). Which developed from my main bass having 30+ frets on it. This has a few benefits and a major drawback. It allows to mix tapping/slapping fluidly (since my slapping isn't restricted to the bottom of the fretboard). I can also do it a lot quicker because I don't have to stick my finger under the string - however, break a nail and I can't "pop" anymore. (I have been popping for years with my fingernail and whenever I "break a nail" I just go to the next finger down. I have played some shows popping with my pinkynail!) - I've had a couple of students try the fingernail thing and it hurt too much and they broke nails too quickly so it's another thing I don't recommend.

I probably have a dozen other weird things I do but I already surpassed my word quota for the day. :) If I type anymore than this, my bass might get jealous with my computer. One day I'll write them out and post them on my website.

16. good stuff, jean.

is it just me, or is a forum for jean in the "ask a pro" section too much to ask? i don't know. maybe it's better just having the guy bumping around. maybe that would be stroking his ego a bit too much. yeah... i think so. back in your corner, pal!

17. [​IMG]

Is this technique as hard as your slapping and tapping thingy? :smug:

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Also NR fan, and still wishing they'd make it up to Portland, Oregon for a show.

I also have a question for Jean:

Any more pics of that 11 string for us? :D

19. Hey Jean, what do you call this technique?

[​IMG]

:D

:bag:

- Dave