1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nut replacement on Jazz neck-difficult??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Apr 17, 2006.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to replace the brass nut on a Fender reissue Jazz neck with an original one. I've never done it before and would like to know the degree of difficulty involved......how are they usually installed? Will it just lift up or can it be gently coaxed with a prying action? Please let me know your experiences. Thanks in advance!!

2. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Why would you want to do that? Brass nuts are usually used on deluxe or high-end models, they're way better than a standard crappy white plastic nut. The advantage of the brass nut is that your open strings have the same sound as fretted ones, not so with any other kind of nut.

If you absolutely WANT another nut it is feasible but wth some specialized tools if you want to do a good job.

Have a look at this link:
    http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-5350.html

3. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Phil: Thanks for the input. The reason I want to replace the brass nut is that the sound I'm getting is too "raw" and bright. I want to tone it down some.

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Allparts sells pre-slotted Tusq Nuts that come in both P and J lengths. Usually, a nut is installed by simply using a couple of touches of low-adhesive glue. The nut is held in place by the strings, so it doesn't have to be cemented down. Use low amounts of glue so it isn't impossible to remove if you later have to do so.

If it's a Fender-style nut, I'd try lifting it gently with pliers, pulling lightly along the length of the nut. If it doesn't budge, I'd hit it a couple of times lightly with a soldering iron to soften the glue.

5. You can find some information over @ StewMac's page on http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-5350.html
    I didn't quite have the same scenario, but I did recently replace the nut on an Epiphone SG guitar. It was actually easier than it looked. I used the blue painting tape (it's the same as regular masking tape) and applied that on the headstock above the nut and on the fretboard under the nut to prevent chipping. Then, I used a chisel, about an inch and a quarter wide, held it nearly parallel to the fretboard, gave it a few taps and off it came! I used a bastard file to get rid of the excess glue that was already there, applied a few drops of superglue, held it in place for a few seconds, reapplied the strings, and it was as good as new. Also at StewMac, they have some different materials you can use for a new nut, and I believe they have some pre-cut nuts that might suit your fancy. Anywho, good luck on the project!

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Do you mean that it's too raw on open strings as well as fretted?

7. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Have you tried different strings? You'll get very good sustain with the brass nut, have you tried some warmer strings, nickels or flats? Let your strings get old, they'll lose brightness.