Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

O.L.P.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gsmackfan00, Jan 23, 2005.

1. gsmackfan00

gsmackfan00 Banned

Jan 20, 2005
    What do you guys think about O.L.P. basses. If you have no clue what they are, they're basically an off-brand of the Music Man Stringray. Every review of the product is a very positive one that says it's almost as good as the Stringray. Just wondering what everyone else thinks bout it.

2. They look and play nicely, except the only thing i dont like about mine is that its passive and i didnt know i was going to be an active electronics kind of guy when i bought it so id also be willing to sell you mine if interested. PM me.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Some are alright, some just suck. Very inconsistent IMO.

4. gsmackfan00

gsmackfan00 Banned

Jan 20, 2005
    well only a couple ppl have views, i've heard that they are almost as good as the stringray, despite the stringray having active rather than the OLP passive. they look kool too, the natural finish is the best, any one else?

5. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Alright, I'm not going to start a cult, but I really think the $150 I spent on a used OLP 5 was a great investment. I am in the process of swaping out the electronics for a Bart NTBT. The electronics are junk. DO that first if you want to use the thing live or recorded. If you want to dive in a little deeper swap out the pickup too.

6. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    OLPs are budget instruments, hence they are not on the same level of quality as MM stingrays so dont expect that much from it. IMO the price tag makes it a good deal, as long as you pick out a good one.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you specifically want a Stingray, and you have played a few Stringrays, do not buy a OLP copy. Sure, it gets close to the Stingray, but it isn't one. You'll know right away.

OTOH....if you really like Stringrays, and would like to check one out on a budget, give the OLP a chance.

-Mike

8. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    Ive played really good OLPs and horrible OLPs. I think you need to try them out. But if you want a Stingray, Get a Stingray. Forget the OLP.

Also you might want to check out the SUBs. They sound pretty good but they are also inconsistent. Try before you buy. *ha that rhymes

-Jon

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

My ex is starting to learn to play bass. I found her an OLP and got it for her. It's nice. Was surprised, especially for $175

Rob

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    You can also wait for the upcoming Tony Levin sig model that OLP is about to release (equivalent in features to a Stingray 5). If it's decent enough I may pick one up as a backup for mine.

ANDRUCA

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    They have a different Neck radius than the MM Ray. MM uses a 11" and the OLP has a 12". I can tell you from my own experience that the difference to me, is pretty big. That is really the only physical difference I have found. Tuners are a little less than MM and it is not active, either. I do not like the OLP's that I have played. Great for a starter, especially for the money

12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I bought one for my son last year and hated the pickup. Bought a Bartolini MM put it in adjusted the neck and vwalla,
    new bass. For the money, even with the stock pu, the ones I've played haven't been too bad at all. It all boils down to what you're looking for.

13. Did u get it used? Cause if you got it new..let me know where u got it from..

Thanks

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Got it new on ebay. A blow out from a music store in the midwest

Rob