1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OBP-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Nov 9, 2010.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Can the treble pot in a Aggie OBP-3 be eliminated keeping the treble rolled off? I am wanting a one pickup bass to be wired volume, bass and mid only. Thanks.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Sure. Turn the pot to the position you think the treble sounds best, and take a reading across the terminals. Grab a few resistors and wire them up accordingly to replace the pot.

3. Better yet, mount a trim pot inside of the control cavity...

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Then it would still be adjustable, and nobody wants that. What happens if some sneaky bastard comes into the room, opens up OP's bass' control cavity, adjusts his treble, and seals it before he has to go on stage? He wont have time to make the adjustment and will have terrible tone all night.

5. Hey . I have the OBP-3 in my ESP and the pickups are stock . The stock pickups are similar to EMG HZ passive pickups . I find that I always have too much treble for my liking . SO I always roll off the treble knob . In fact, when I put the treble to " flat " or just above it, I get a really nasty sharp slap sound .

I personally would recommend that u wire the treble knob and then turn it down depending on ur taste and your sonic goals as a bass player at that moment . Also what I have found is that the treble and mid range can really add some body or presence to old strings that I didnt have before in my stock crappy preamp .

Hope this helps . The OBP-3 is a kickass preamp and I'm having fun with it .

Cheers !!

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Why not used a stacked bass/treble control? Then it's there if you want it, but doesn't take up another knob.

7. You could have a toggle switch to A/B between a fixed resistor setup and the trimmer pot, that way if someone turns the trimmer pot, you could run up to the microphone, scream "**** YOU DUDE THAT TURNED MY TRIMMER POT!!," flick the switch, and then precede to play the most awesome bassline ever with the perfect tone of the fixed resistor setup. The crowd will then love you, and the dude that messed with your trimmer pot will be arrested on charges of "tampering with sweet bass tone."
    :bag:

Alright, that was a bit childish.;)
    I still say to just mount a fixed trimmer pot in the control cavity.
    Better yet, if the bass is rear routed, drill a hole in the control cover and mount the trimmer so that you can adjust it if need be, without removing the control cover.

8. richnota

richnota Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I for one was riveted.

Agreed on "internal" treble pot. wondering if you could get a tiny one with screw driver head?

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    That's actually brilliant... **takes notes**

Most trim pots have a slit specifically designed for tiny flat-head screwdrivers.

10. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    So many choices. (Got to watch those shifty stage hands.) ROFL.
    I think i will stay passive

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    You really decided to stay passive to avoid making a decision?

Truthfully, if you buy a 25k trimpot and a pre-wired OBP-3, and then replace the treble pot with the trimpot, you can set it where you want it, solder a few measley wires, and be happily active.

12. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Thanks. Am looking into that very thing. I really sure do thank all for the inputs here. I am not an electrician but love playing around with my bass electronics and fiddling around and learning as I go.