Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave up?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There are plenty of pedals that will give lower notes, right? I'd like one that will give me a note an octave higher than what I'm playing.

I think an Akai Unibass would do that (among other things), but they're a bit hard to find. Any others?

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I am pretty shure that the prescription electronics Clean Octave Blend (COB) does this... I really want a octave up, but I missed out on the last batch of $99 Unibass pedals at musicans friend... And I don't want to pay how much they are going for now...

Alex

ps. here is a link...

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/pres.php

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    The new Boss multi effects does as well. MEB-50??? or something like that

4. tenbellies

tenbellies

Dec 17, 2003
    Me -50B. I just imported one to the Uk from the States. The Octaver is good, tracks well and you can go two octaves above, not just one.

A very good allrounder

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, the ME-50B does it. Boss also do a pitch shifter pedal, PS-5, which can do octave up.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Electro Harmonix Micro Synthesizer does octave up AND down.

You can mix them together with the straight signal plus a "square wave" (fuzz sound but with no added sustain) in any amount.

Killing the straight signal altogether and leaving only the two octave signals is pretty trippy sounding.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I believe the newer EBS pedal has that feature.

8. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Really?.. Man I have to here the new octabass!!!

Alex

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Check out EBS site before you get too excited. I have older one that does not offer it. I believe there is a three way switch on the new one.

Give my love to Oromocto :D :D :D

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    HUUU?... How do you know Oromocto?????

Alex

11. Good catch,but the EHX Bass MicroSynth adds distortion which you may or may not want, I always forget that it does the upper octave.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The three way switch on the newer octabass only relates to the eq on the octaved signal, so 'high' gives you more clarity rather than a +12 signal on top of yours. Unless ebs have revamped the octabass pedal within the last few months...

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've owned a Bass Whammy, Akai Uni-Bass, and Zoom 607 pedals at one time or another.

All did the Octave Up in some way.
    The Best is the Uni-Bass. Totally flawless tracking down to low A (below low B string). You can add various amounts of distortion to the Octave note only (so it sounds like a guitar doubling you), Has settings (footswitchable) to add a 5th up or a 4th down to the octave note for guitar power chords with your bass note, and possibly the best feature, an optional output to run just the upper note (notes) to a separate amp or effects or whatever.

The Whammy tracked well but sounded cheezy/weak.

The 607 tracking was less effective and the upper note, though tunable, never sounded completely "in-tune".

14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The EBS OctiBass Pedal (I think that's what it's called) does it.

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This is the second claim for the EBS. Can anyone else confirm this? I had one a couple years back and it had no such feature.

If it is true, does it now track all the way through the bass's range (like the others I mentioned), or does it still start to crap out in the D-C range (A string) like most "Octaver Pedals"?

16. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    the Boss ps-5 Super Shifter can go two octaves down, two octaves above, as well as intervals in between.

dee

17. Re: EBS Octabass

Check the website

EBS

As mentioned before this pedal only produces an Octave down, the three way switch gives three options for the tone of the octave, high mid and low.

Hope that helps

Tony

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, but the high,mid,and low refers to the tone on the octaved signal underneath.

The EBS Octabass pedal DOES NOT produce an octave above signal. I've owned one (twice!)

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    True,
    The Octabass does not produce anything but an octave down.
    The switch is simply to change the tone of the effect note, not what octave it reproduces.

Pasted from the site:
    EBS OCTABASS

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=20>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=orange11b>How does the EBS Octabass work? </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=20>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=white111 vAlign=top>The Octabass produces a tone one octave below the note you play, thus adding awesome bottom and punch to your original sound. This type of effect box is also called octave divider pedal or octaver.</TD></TR><TR><TD width=20> </TD><TD><HR class=blue11link></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=20>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=orange11b vAlign=top>I have the older octabass (without the range switch). How does it compare to the new model? What range is mine set up for?</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=20>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=white111>The new range switch basically sets the tone for the octave signal.
    The old one is by default set to "mid" range.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

20. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    That's what sshorepunk just said in his post you're quoting.:confused: :)