1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

octavers and recording

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Rycebag, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Justin, I was wondering if you have any tips and tricks for recording bass that has a boss oc-2 being used on it. Right now it sounds a little woofy and I'm trying to get a slightly more solid and articulate sound out of it so it still has some kick to it.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    The OC-2 is solid, but it's not articulate. You're better off checking out other octavers like the Aguilar if you're looking for more clarity and precision. The OC-2 is smeary, glitchy, and voluminous...a very special sound. But it sounds like perhaps the wrong sound for you.

J_Bass likes this.
  3. remigiozampa

remigiozampa

Oct 26, 2011
    EH Micro POG works pretty well for bass...

4. Bigmuffdiver

Bigmuffdiver

Mar 28, 2014
    Belgium
    After testing two others (EBS Octa, Boss OC-3) I stuck with my MXR octave deluxe. Works great for me, also on recordings.

Mig15 likes this.
  5. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Yeah the MXR bass octave is dope.

6. DOD Meatbox reissue is also sooooooooooooo cool too if it is the octave flavor you're going for.

7. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The ugly (discontinued?) Markbass Octave pedal is VERY close sounding to the OC2 but it has way better tracking and takes hot output signals very well.
    After playing the EBS and MXR for years and a brief stint with the Boss and the 3leaf, I think the Markbass is the closest to the OC2

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Hi Justin, I'm sure it depends on the song but generally what ratio of dry to octave down do you like to use? Would more octave mean less dry?

9. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes, more octave means less dry, or "more wet". Ratio is entirely song/part dependent, so I can't answer that one.

the low one likes this.
  10. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Thanks. It does always seem the obvious way to go too, but I'm always surprised by the number of pedalboards you see where the dry and octave levels are cranked, unless of course they use it as a boost too.

11. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I've never seen you using the MXR bass octave. When do you find it suits best? Is the mid boost something that interests you or does it mess too much with your dry tone?

12. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Just sounds good, tracks a little better than OC-2. I got it within past two years, used it a few times. That's all I got.

the low one likes this.