1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Odd question about tapewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Oneirogenic, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I'm guessing an ebow works fine on these strings but what about a regular bow? Is enough friction produced between the bow and nylon wrap to vibrate the string? I only ask because I use bow on my ABG sometimes and wanna try nylon tapewounds.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Use some Rosin.

They do make nylon tapewound upright strings...

Keep in mind that Rosin is going to leave sticky ickies all over your bass...

3. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I'm aware of sticky ickies ;) probably gonna be ordering some tapewounds from you when I get some cash. Too broke for strings :(

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Well, I'm feeling saucy... Drop me a PM

;-)

5. Thurb

Thurb

Jun 19, 2012
    Do you use a bow on just the lowest and highest string?

6. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Depends on what I'm doing. Yes it's easiest to bow single notes on only the outer strings but since I often use open tunings I can run the bow across all the strings open or with harmonics. Chords can be bowed but it's not easy. In drop D tuning I can easily bow a melody on the G string while simultaneously bowing open D chord across the other three strings. I have a lot more I can tell you if your interested....this post has gone way too off topic.

7. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    I once bowed a bass with rounds because the jazz chart called for a bowed intro but I don't play upright... the ironic part is that it was a violin bass. Go figure.