Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

odd truss rod problem.....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass349, Sep 29, 2005.

1. hey guys,

i've been working on doing up my recently purchased SX SJB-75.

i just put her back together yesterday, gave the neck some time to settle with the new strings and went to set it up tonight. there was too much bow in the neck for my tastes, so i decided to loosen the truss rod a little (going carefully, only a quarter turn). i checked again, and it hadn't seemed to move, so i turned it another quarter-turn and checked again - still no movement.

i was a little curious by this point, so i went to loosen it a bit more and gave it a good half turn, still no movement - the relief is staying exactly the same. i gave the truss rod a few more turns and it just feels like it's scewing itself out of the neck - and it isn't hard to turn at all.

i think this may be serious, and thats a real pain in the a$$, because i've spent about the last 5 days refinishing it!

if anybody could help me out here it'd be much appreciated. i don't feel like i should keep turning it anymore unil i know what's going on.

cheers!
    andy.

2. ishk! thanks man.

for some reason i was thinking that loosening the truss rod would get rid of the relief..

all fixed, and i'll crawl back into my box...

cheers,
    Andy