Oh man, help me choose pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tonymcbony, Feb 18, 2010.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    This is so hard to choose. I'm replacing the pickups in my Warwick Streamer LX (these are all in NZ dollars)

I have $400NZ

I can get a P/J set of dimarzio model J and model P for $240NZ, the rest to spend on pots, caps, strings and beer

I can get a p/J Nordstrand Set for $400NZ, but no pots or caps; I only have $400NZ, and damn that's heaps to spend on pups.

I can get a Lindy Fralin P and a Nordstrand NJ4SE with 3 pots and a cap shipped from the states for $350NZ

I can't get the Model J bridge separately in NZ.

So what would you do? Gotta get the dirty old MEC's outta there

2. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    EMG's are real handy - mostly solderless and come with all the pots and wires.

3. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    The real question is what sound do you want? Without knowing that, it's hard to advise.

Edwin

4. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Ah good point.

I like growly with nice punch. I play fingerstyle, and driving bass. Rocky to funk style.

I love the tones that Tim Commerford, Chris Wolstenhome, and especially Dirk Lance.

Is that enough? Not even quite sure what I'm after. I don't like old school tones, and I'm not that into metal.

5. I don't know whether your after active or passive (as MEC makes both), but i think Bartolini's fit the bill for what sound your going for. All Bartolini's are passive. Hope that helps and good luck.

6. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Oh thanks for that, I'll keep the barts in mind.
    I'm after passives at the moment as I have an aguilar Tonehammer I'm using as a preamp

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Dirk Lance used Seymour Duncan Basslines. Try looking there. As far as specific models? I couldn't tell ya.

I absolutely hated the mid scoop in my DiMarzio Ultra J's.

8. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Thought I might give the NP4/model J combo a crack.
    What can you tell me about these two pick ups (done lots of searching, I'm hoping to get an answer in context)

9. I just installed a Fender Original P Bass (Same as '62, I believe) and a Dimarzio Model J and am very pleased with the outcome. Nicely priced as well.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021