1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ohms and buying a new amp... NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickwhittaker, May 20, 2011.

1. nickwhittaker

nickwhittaker

Aug 23, 2010
    Miami, FL
    Guys!

I am buying a new bass amplifier and I think it is going to be a Hartke HA2500, HA3500, or LH500.

I do not know how OHMS work and I think it would benefit me if someone could tell me if they would work fine with my current cabinet, a Hartke 410XL.

The 410XL says 8ohms on the back. I would like the HA2500, but I guess I would only get 180 watts, right?

I like the LH500 because of its price and reviews, but I am not sure if I can hook it up to my cabinet safely??? It says 500 watts at 4ohms..

Finally, I assume the HA3500 would work, but it's $400.

I appreciate any help! You have been great help before!

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Your going to get 250 watts at 8 ohms out of the LH500.
    If you hook up two 8 ohm cabs you will get the full 500 watts.

4. DLESSING

DLESSING

Apr 1, 2010
    Here is the short version of how ohms work for the non techie:
    Your amp has power it has to deliver to the speakers, but the pipe through which that power flows is narrow and offers resistance, measured in ohms. More ohms, more resistence.

If you have one pipe at 8 ohms of resistence, you get a certain amount of power delivered. If you have two of those pipes side by side, you can get twice that amount of power delivered. So two 8 ohm pipes side by side offer half the resistence of one pipe, allowing twice the power to get through.

Thats why the amps are rated at X watts into 8 ohms and 2X watts into 4 ohms.

And for all the electrical enginers out there, I know, I know, but I'm just giving the concept.

5. You can hook it up safely to an 8 ohm cabinet. Amps are rated by the minimum load they can support without burning up- most go down to 4 Ohms, a few higher end can go down to 2 Ohms.

6. I highly recommend you go for the LH500, its a beast and as simple to use as it gets. Also its rated at I believe 340 watts at 8 ohms, not 250 as previously stated.

Regardless, its a great amp and would go nicely with your current cab. IMO

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA