1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OK I finally get it. I need a mixer. Will this work?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JaneBass1, Sep 26, 2008.

1. JaneBass1

JaneBass1

Jul 23, 2008
    In my eternal quest for tracking drums first, I went to all of the replies to my questions and I am getting it.

I need a mixer and a headphone amp.

Connect 1 output or 2 of the mixer into the 2 inputs of the Mbox 2, connect the other output of the mixer into the headphone amp.

Play the band live and record the drums only with the mixer

I gotta see it to believe it, so I researched these. What is your opinion on them. Based on that I have a budget of less than $200 for the mixer. The amp less than $100

Headphone amp:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-HP4-Discrete-4-Channel-Headphone-Amp-102226354-i1125342.gc
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behring...Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-182040-i1125160.gc

Mixer:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-MG102C-10-Channel-Stereo-Mixer-104227327-i1172628.gc
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-XENYX-1204FX-103847109-i1166569.gc

The Behringer one seems to be similar to a Mackie 1202.

Please let me know what you think, and I apologize for being so amateurish and annoying.

2. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    For headphone amps, pretty much anything will work for tracking as long as you're not using some crazy headphones that require a ton of gain (not likely the case).

As far as mixers, though I've never used one of those Yamahas (but have owned a bunch of Yammie stuff over the years), I'd be willing to bet that it's way better sounding than the Behringer, and likely far more reliable. I had one of those small behringers (fewer channels than that one) just to have around to input sources into for practicing. It was awful sounding. No fidelity whatsoever... made everything thin sounding and pretty much collapsed the stereo image. I couldn't even stand using it for practice and got rid of it. Maybe the Xenyx line is improved, but I have my doubts.
    ---
    c

3. the behringer only looks like the mackie vlz range, it definitely does not sound like one! Dont be fooled.

Mackies are good desks for either small studios or proffesionals who aren't based entirely around recording (ie electronic music producers etc) and are very well made.

the behringer is an absolute entry level mixer from a company known for bad workmanship, very cheap parts and just about useable (for the begginer) sound. I'd definitely go for the yamaha. Ive used behringer bits in the past because they are so cheap! but I would never use it for anything that would end up in the mix.

So with that in mind a budget behringer headphone amp may be good for you, as it will just be used for monitoring.

presonus seem to make pretty nice entry to midrange gear though i havent used any of there stuff.

The yamaha mixers are not too bad, the eq's are a bit naff but its pretty well built and sounds good for the price!

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just because others get confused I'll remind... Coming out of the mixer is only going to give you a stereo mix if you use the left and right outs, or mono if just one. So you will need to mix and check and tweak your drums for balance and stereo pan because once its recorded that's it.

5. I have that Behringer headphone amp and it works quite well for me. I also have 2 Behringer mixers that do an acceptable job and IMO it would be a better choice than the Yamaha you listed.

6. No preference on the headphone amp.

IMO, the Yamaha>Behringer. Are you certain 4 XLR inputs are enough?

7. I've used those Yammi mixers and have one like it in my studio. It's really good quality, sounds good, mine has had some problems with the aux buses so be sure to check everything while the warranty still holds.

8. My general rule in life is Behringer should never be one's first choice.

9. Unless you've tried/heard one that really works for you. They have an amazing price point and sometimes their stuff is just fine. But I agree that they are not a great benchmark.

10. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Whether or or not anything berhinger truly works for anyone is subjective.:bag:

11. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story

Jan 4, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Mackie 1202 or 1202 VLZ. Can be picked up fairly cheaply on ebay. I've aslo used the 1202 as a bass preamp into a power amp with good results.

12. It's also a moral thing.

13. Guys, try to stay on topic. Go bash Behringer in another forum.

I have the big brother to that Yamaha mixer and like it. To echo DocBop, just not sure what you're going for, but that mixer will let you take four drum mics and mix down to one or two drum tracks. You'll need to get creative (or a mixer with direct outs for each channel) if you want to record four separate drum tracks.

14. hmmm.... just noticed the Behringer looks like it has two main and two group outs meaning you COULD record four separate drum tracks with that one if that's what you're going for.

15. He asked for opinions. We gave them.

16. the yamaha also has inserts, meaning two direct outs on channels 1 and two, as well as master/monitor stereo outs and 2 auxilarys for a total of 6 channels useable,

the behringer also has two sends so that makes 6 for it also, but i think the real issue for the OP is soundcard inputs, not mixer outputs!

recording drums is often the area of studio recording where money can just run out of your wallet.

the best thing to do IMO is just get a little mixer and play around with it, see if you get the sounds you want and if not look at a bigger setup, its not so much money that you will break the bank and its always good to have a little mixer lying around for gigs et, so it will always come in handy!

to be honest, you probably dont need a headphone amp,

the yamaha having inserts helps, it means you can take a direct feed out of channels 1 and 2 going to soundcard, this is where you plug in what you record, have your computer coming out into 3 and 4 and plug headphones into the headphone socket or the two 'send' sockets for a headphone mix. then use the send knobs to adjust how much of each track you want to hear, this also means your drummer can hear loads of the track, none or himself and at the same time you can choose to hear equal amounts of both.

once recording other instruments this becomes even more useful, you can do two at a time like this and people can set up what they want to hear of each other seperatly.

on the behringer it'll be a little different, you can still use the sends to controll headphones but you woud have to make use of the main/controll room out switch. plug computer into main out and make sure the alt34 switch is pressed on stuff you DONT want to record! then make sure. if your speakers are attached to controll room out (as they should be!) then you will have to make sure the relative control room source buttons are pressed.

this way is the same as the very nice for the money little mackie mixers, so its worth knowing as something like the 1604 vlz is the next logical step up, they do everything you will ever need for most home studios! Bu i stand by my original comment,

dont bother with the behringer, go with the yamaha.

17. Yeah there is that. I wondered why it hurt in my gut whenever I browsed over their stuff...

18. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    What's the Behringer resentment story? I've used their 802 and it sounds decent enough. They all use pretty much the same opamps and circuit design, it's not rocket science.

19. JaneBass1

JaneBass1

Jul 23, 2008
    I don't know why people don't like behringer. Is it made in China or something? or is just plain bad quality?

i have a couple of pedals from behringer and they work as good as boss.

I don't know about mixers though, as I never owned one. If people say is bad then is bad

20. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Yes, bad quality.:oops: