1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK ! OK !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NORAMACTIVE, Sep 19, 2008.

1. NORAMACTIVE

NORAMACTIVE

Jul 27, 2008
    OK ! OK ! I can be a cheap skate ! I know ! I tried to skin the cat and it bit my tail! :bag:
    I had to send my speakers out for re-coning soooo I wanted to have something to play through while they're gone .
    I bought to inexpensive 10 " auto car woofers to play through for $27.00 on FLEABAY , they sound great! but,............
    no matter which way I hook them up I can only read 4 ohms :help:
    I need to get an 8 0hm load for my amp or it will shut down after a minute of playing ( man! these babies put out !!!)
    any way I tried hooking them in series ( 4 ohms ) , then I switched the wires on the speakers (Parallel) , still 4 ohms
    any body got any good suggestions ??
    Please email me
    Thanx ! I feel better already :hyper:

2. OK - from the other thread you said you measured each speaker at 4 ohms. There is no way to get 4 ohms from two 4 ohm speakers. So, a couple of problems come to mind (assuming series wiring):

1. One of the speakers has a dead short in it.
    2. You are measuring across a single speaker instead of both when wired in series.

3. NORAMACTIVE

NORAMACTIVE

Jul 27, 2008
    here's how I have it wired , The first speaker two wires connecting to each pole one set of two go out of the cabinet ( for amp connection , one set got to the other speaker

4. I'm not sure about your wiring since I don't really understand your description, but it seems to me that you have wired your speakers in parallel, wich should give you 2 ohms.

With two normally functioning 4 ohm speakers, if you want an 8 ohm load, you would have to hook them in series.

Your connection should be:

The first pole of the jack connects to the first wire of speaker no. 1 then, the second wire of speaker no. 1 connects to the first wire of speaker no. 2 then, the second wire of speaker no. 2 connects to the other pole of the input jack.

That should give you 8 ohms.

5. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    It sounds from your description like you're wiring them in parallel. Also, many cheap meters don't measure very low resistance well. 4 Ohms may be the minimum it will read. A speaker rated at 4 Ohms impedance will typically have a static resistance value of 2 to 3 Ohms.

6. NORAMACTIVE

NORAMACTIVE

Jul 27, 2008
    Thanks guys !! I had them parallel, Duhhhhh! :eyebrow:

7. Also like it was said, don't forget that impedence and resistance are two completly different things.

Impedence cannot be measured with an ohm-meter, you have to calculate it.

when you measure at both ends of a speaker with an ohm-meter, all you get is the resistance of the wire.

Impedence varies with frequency so, you won't be able to measure it.