Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay- tips for developing a pedal board please...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am looking finally take all of my pedals (using 7 at the moment) and plan out a pedal based on what I have, and my goals of pedals I am going to acquire in the future. So, I am beginning to plan it out.

First thing I did was cut out paper shapes to represent each pedal I use, and laid the out so I would have an idea of my immediate needs, and so I could nbetter consider my future needs as well. It gave me a good idea of my minimium size requirements.

My goals:

1) For connections, I wat to run just two chords. First, I want be able to to run an extension chord from the Furmum in my rack and plug it into a male AC plug on the pedal board for power. Second is the chord from the amp to the pedal board. Then plug in my bass and that's it.

2) I think I would prefer an ATA style case. I want to be able to protect the pedals and not worry about setting being messsed up during trasport.

3) Neatness is a must. I'll probably do cable ties and use a George L's kit or two.

4) I'll need to be able to mount a power strip. Power is provided by a 1 Spot, and I need at least two other outlets for my Vintage Morley PWB and VOL. I'll probably snip the end of the strip off, and wire it to the aforemention male AC jack. However, I'm not sure how I can mount the jack.

So that's where I am. I was wanting tips from people who have experience on this.

Danke,

Ted

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    See that's what my problem was... I didn't plan... and now I have to set up my pedals around my crappy board's idea of what should fit. You sound like you know what's up.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, I'm afraid I'm going to miss something. Yesterday, I almost pulled the trigger on an eBay auction for a Tonebone Boneyard. I've been looking at one of those for about 3 months, and figured it would be perfect for my needs. However, I realized (after I placed my bid) that the way they recommend mounting the power strips (under the board, towards the front) probably wouldn't work for me becasue of the shape of the plug on the 1 Spot.

Fortunately, I lost the auction.

4. Dont buy a pedal board until you're happy with all the pedals you have. I made the mistake of buying a board first. Now i have to buy another one so i can fit all my pedals on, and sell my old one.

theres a good chance you're going to change your mind on what you want. I've changed about 3 or 4 times. But now im finally happy with what im going to get.

Think about what sounds you want, then buy as may effects as you need to get those sounds, otherwise you'll buy something now, then soon you're not as happy with it, and you'll buy the more expensive one that you originally wanted. Basically take your time and get it right. And don't compromise.

Also think of interesting things to do with loops, splitting signals, blending, boutique, custom effects etc.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, I've pretty much already made those choices- so now it's just a matter of time and money. I do want to leave some room for expansion.

My band will be gigging again this summer, so I'll need the board.

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Sounds like you have the thing planned out pretty well. My only advice is to make sure that your pedalboard is set up to easily step on your pedals... without being too large.

I sometimes have a tough time hitting pedals in the back row without mashing knobs from the front row. In the past I've even had to mount pedals sideways to give my foot sufficient clearance to hit the switch. My most recent incarnation has the front row mostly on the right and the back row mostly on the left (behind my amp fooswitch). Even then, I've had to terrace my back row pedals to give me accurate access to the pedals there.

Consider also if you'd want to step on two pedals at the same time. It's a nifty trick if you can pull it off.

Also, in lieu of the George L's, consider using direct couplers. Metal - metal... no cable involved = less signal loss.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  8. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    skb pro 45 thats what I use I love it

9. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, I don't think that would be large enough. For the epdals I have and leaving a 1" space between pedal, I need at least a 32" X16" of space.

Yeah- I saw those. The AXS would be ideal, if only they made a larger one! I have the same problem as with the SKB described above.

But thanks guys- the opinions are appreciated.

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have built into the plans to install a 5 Loooper to assist withg that

Yeah- for that reason, I've been thinking about a tiered platform for the back.

Hmmm... if I have pedals that will align in that manner, I'll take that advice- thanks!

Ted