1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Old and new Hot Hand- what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexbrownebass, Aug 17, 2012.

1. alexbrownebass

alexbrownebass Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hello all-

I recently acquired the Soundblox BEF and Bass Distortion Pro, and I'm interested in ordering the Hot Hand. I saw that there's a newer one out (the Hot Hand 3), but I found an older model for sale for a significantly lower price on Amazon. What's the difference between the two, really? I'm interested in making dubstep wobbles and other crazy noises ( a la Nathan Navarro), would the older model work for this? I tried using the search feature, but no post I found answered this question. Thanks in advance!

2. TheBassBoss

TheBassBoss

Feb 17, 2012
    Tennessee
    From what I've heard, the only difference is that the Hot Hand 3 works with any pedal with an expression jack, whereas the 2 only worked with Source Audio pedals. So if you're using it with a Source Audio pedal, there shouldn't be a difference.
    Then again, you might want to wait for more answers because I'm not 100% percent sure on this.

3. itswac

itswac

Nov 24, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Endorsing Artist/Product Line Manager: Source Audio Effects
    The new Hot Hand 3 also has an additional 3rd axis of control as well as some parameter control on its receiver (depth and smoothing). The design of the system is different too, with the older Hot Hand having a dongle that plugs into the back of the pedal and the new Hot Hand 3 having an independent receiver base station.

4. From another thread the pres at SA, rpsands, said that the rings are interchangeable between the old wireless HH and the new HH3 receiver. So that provides some flexibility for an upgrade path between the two versions.